Finally! .. a 'wide-mouth' hummer feeder!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A few years ago .. the Rubbermaid Co., HAD made a dandy lil wide mouth feeder - then, 'poof' - the feeders couldn't be found anywhere, anymore.

I'd even contacted the company directly, to see if the particular feeders may still be available for purchase - but, twas a no-go. The company claimed (they) didn't sell well, and no longer manufactured 'that model' (or anything similar). All was lost .. until now!!

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. pic #2 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. pic #3 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow Magerroos! You really stocked up on them, didn't you? HAHAHAHA That looks like a great idea. I wonder if there was some sort of defect with Rubbermaids model. I didn't notice if these were made by Rubbermaid or not. Give us the scoop gal. Where do we get 'em?

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I didn't mean to interrupt your posting there. Sorry! I see now that they are made by First Nature. They look so much easier to clean than those that you have to fill with a funnel.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. pic #4 ..

According to the web site, the feeders are available in the 16 and the 32 ounce sizes. Found the larger capacity @ the local WalMart store ..

> http://www.firstnature.net/product_hummingbirdfeeders.phtml

And they are a gem to clean!!

- Magpye

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by Magpye
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

But do they leak/drip? That is one of my pet peeves with hummer feeders. I switched to the humzinger this year.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

((Ahh, quitcha frettin' .. ya haint interrupted diddly, Janet!)) .. heehee ..

I'm plannin' on convertin' strictly to these - so, yes ma'ams, I'll be stockpiling more, ASAP!

- Magpye

This message was edited Jul 27, 2007 5:29 PM

Marlton, NJ

Thanks Magpye! I'll have to check them out.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

nanny ...

I've had two out, since some time around the end of March .. and not a leak has dripped, nor a drip has leaked, either! .. lol .. (Sorry, jes couldn't hep maseff ..)

Matter of fact .. with the sub-freezin' temps we've already had on several occasions: both have frozen .. and still no sign of dribblin'.

- Magpye

This message was edited Jul 27, 2007 5:30 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Lifetime Warranty! Ya can't beat that! Who's lifetime though, yours or the hummingbirds?

Now I've got myself to wondering .... how long do hummingbirds usually live?

Your photos of the hummers are incredible Mag. I can't wait to see more of them. :-) I've got several feeders out but have only seen one and he/she was on a shrimp plant nectaring.

Janet

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Janet .. you're mitey sweet, ya know.

I 'used' to know such lil hummer facts - but such has gone by the wayside with age and other misc affirmities .. so, unless I've jes read the info in the last day or so - it too, goes 'poof'! .. (hee)

You can betcha booties there, kiddo .. that the hummers are gonna be aiming to visit the flora, first. The hummer shugga-wata is the 'stand-by' stuff .. for now.

- Magpye

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tip! Priceless!

Mag--are you getting a lot of hummers now? just wondering.... we don't have any yet.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Howdy there, T!!
.. Nah, not many at all, jes yet .. Judy

Just two males (from what I can tell about them) .. and boy, are they some leery lil fellers! .. hee ..

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

Marlton, NJ

I think their lifespan is around 3-4 years but one was recently caught that was 7 years old. They could tell by the band on his leg.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I'll be sure to let 'em know (when/if they start a swarmin' in here) - that they're plenty welcomed up in Cincy - k? .. (a bit o'luvin' gigglin' goin' on here)

Thanks .. for the additional bits of info, pelle ..

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

It wasn't until in April, I could actually snag a photo ...

He was really well-qualified to be a true 'snow bird'. Yep, that really is a light dusting of snow visible in the photo, along with the dogwoods in full bloom in the background!

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. an utterly irrefutable profile .. 'ey? .. lol

Thumbnail by Magpye
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info Pell.

Great photos Mags. How right you are about those profiles. He seems to like the new feeders.

Marlton, NJ

I have to make an addition to what I said earlier.

There was another hummer that was caught in Colorado in the late 80's that was 12 years old!!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow! How many wing beats would that be? Whew!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I did stumble across this info, about the longevity of several species of hummers ...
http://www.rubythroat.org/QuestionsAge01.html

cpartschick ..
Tis definitely quite a few wing beats!

- Magpye

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

NICE FEEDERS!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.