Have gone Container Crazy! Is there a cure?

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

This is the first year that I’ve ever really gotten into container/planter gardening and am just loving it! I’m fortunate that most of my containers are under a screened-in enclosure so it really cuts the heat and sun intensity and seems to be extending the life of the annuals.

Planted a whole bunch of new ones yesterday and am wondering where the container craze ends? Or does it? Haha!

Love the fact you can keep changing things...

Here's a few pics of my efforts so far

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG

Some old and some new...

Thumbnail by KatG

New "Bottle Palm" planter

Thumbnail by KatG

Bottle Palm with Calibrachoa, Sweet potato vine and lantana.

(Planted yesterday)

Thumbnail by KatG

Thai Beauty Caladiums and Sweet Potato

Thumbnail by KatG

Sago with Crown of thorns, dusty miller and coleus

Thumbnail by KatG

Pool Planter which is filling out nicely

Thumbnail by KatG

Lanai Planter with Christmas Palm, Peace Lily, Xanadu, and New Guinea Impatients

Thumbnail by KatG

I planted these petunias about 3 months ago - 3 little plants! They've gotten stalky and are declining, but don't have the heart to replace them yet as they're so pretty!

Thumbnail by KatG

Some older pots that I just added a few new annuals to.

Thumbnail by KatG
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooh. Fun and so pretty! Can I come visit you? I'll help water!

Love your 'black' vegetation co-ordinating with your black furniture. And your cute topiary famingo too!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Just beautiful! Love the yard view too :-)

Hey Tabasco...

Absolutely! I need all the help I can get! hehe.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. When I first started planting about 5 months ago, It used to be a 1 bottle Liqui-feed round of the container plants/lanai area! It's now 2!

I kind of like the black vegetation accents. It really makes the colorful plants "pop"!

Every Floridian needs to have a "flamingo" in their yard! Mines not pink, but he really is cute! Right now he's filled with moss. I have no idea what would be a good cover for him that wouldn't obstruct his shape with large leaves.

Thumbnail by KatG

Uhmm Kat..I think you have waaaay too many containers! Will be there in the early AM to help you out and take them home.... Great job with gorgeous containers and plant combos. Love the garden rooms and atmosphere, simply divine!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kat: You do have the bug, but you clearly have the knack. What lovely containers! And in such a great setting, too!
Deb

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for sharing; enjoyed viewing all your wonderful plant combinations, pots, & atmosphere settings. I second Deb's comment about you having the knack.

Fernandina Beach, FL(Zone 8b)

I don't think I have ever seen a container plant design more beautiful than yours, Kat! Looks like the setting fit for a movie … or an award show.

San Jose, CA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful, Kat. There is no cure for the container disease, but you can learn to manage it. I've been buying and planting containers for 35 years. The smartest thing I've done is to save my back from strain by buying a large dolly to carry the large bags of potting soil or to move the pots around.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

uh, are you sure this isn't Oprah's house?

just teasing.... very beautiful combos and home!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Kat
Your containers look super! I think you are hooked and now there is no hope you are doomed to a life of creating beautiful containers and changing your space on a regular basis. I think your flamingo looks great with the moss, I wouldn't change it at all.
Ann

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Absolutly beautiful! love your home too! you have done a wonderful job. thanks for sharing your pictures.
Dan

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I especially like the Thai caladiums and sweet potato vine. Please post when it gets really full!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Kat!

Beautiful!! What kind of soil mix are you using? I want the recipe!

Blessings on your garden,
Elf

Phoenix, AZ

KatG
Great work! You must enjoy that space very much!

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful containers, wonderful composition, fantastic home! Thanks for sharing!

How about a creeping fig or small leafed ivy on your flamingo?

Ann

Thank-you all so much for such overwhelming, encouraging and complimentary comments...blush! You've all been so helpful and inspirational on this site. Yes, I'm really fortunate to have found such an incredible property...it really is peaceful and serene (except for the occasional bash of course! hehe). Good Luck to you all with your gardening endeavors and Thank-you again.

Kat

I grow these here too! (smile)

Thumbnail by KatG
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wow! KatG, I just found this thread and agree with everyone's compliments - outstanding! The combinations are great but I absolutely love the containers! I'm trying to give my cheap plastic containers are little flair this year by painting them. Hopefully in the future I can accumulate some of the more expensive containers similar to yours. And in answer to your question - NO, there is NO cure! LOL

Debbie

Just when I thought I was all "Containered-out" I added some new ones! haha

Here's an interesting little Combo I planted yesterday! Dwarf Papyrus, Lobelia, some shaggy Dusty-Miller looking plant (does anybody know the name of this?), Ornamental sweet potato vine. Might be cute when it matures.

Thumbnail by KatG

Great arrangement! The gray plant looks like licorice Helichrysum thianschanicum "Icicles".

Thanks Rev...that's exactly what it is - nice little plant!

You were all right on this thread. There is no cure! I think I've reached my quota (for now) in this section though! There are a couple of holes though! hhhhmmmmm.

Thumbnail by KatG
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

KatG,
You live a very sheltered life. Go look at this patio..... And, yes, EVERY SINGLE ONE is in a container......

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=1938569

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=1941072

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 5:29 PM

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 5:31 PM

Hey Gymgirl...I think you're right! Those are gorgeous and I have to start thinking "Vertical"! hehe

Very cool garden...Thank-you

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

katg - i just found this thread and while i am not much into flowers i am into beautiful homes and i must say yours is beyond words. how about posting more pics of the house for us if you don't mind.

thanks

Well Thank-you Herbie...I've actually only lived in this home since October 06. Love the decorating part though and it's an ongoing project! It's getting there and I have been keeping an online diary of my progress. The house is coming along pretty nicely, but the property is just fantastic!

http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=5556

Your home makes my heart stop like it did when I stood in the Parthenon in Greece high up on a plateau and looked down upon the City of Athens. Or the night I was in Athens and looked up at the Parthenon hanging on the edge of that mountain, all lit up at night.....

and you get to experience this every day....wow is not enough....

OMG! You are too funny Gymgirl! LOL!

KatG,
There are those in the world who can not even fathom sights such as these of which we speak...no point of reference...and there are those who have experienced these without realizing there are others who will never, nor do they even know...you have been truly blessed.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Kat: There is no cure for container gardening. You just have to quit COLD TURKEY. Say no more than what you have now. That is what I have had to do this yr. Last yr. my 8'x 30' deck looked bare in April when I planted in containers. By mid-June it looked like a jungle. This yr. I am down to only 4 large containers, several long planters and 4 smaller ones. Perhaps my hus. and I will be able to walk on the deck instead of having to just about hack our way thru the growth. LIZ

I'm doing something similar. I'm clearing out a lot of pots, and only planting what won't take over the place. The jungle has got to go!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

katg - sorry i'm so late to respond to the pictures of your home but i was trying to make mine look just like that. i cannot believe that you crammed all of that into a 1100 sq. ft. home. it's amazing what can be done today using mirrows. LOL

it is truly a beautifuly home and one you can be very proud of. as a matter of fact, good friends of ours live in port charlotte also.

thanks for the eye candy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.