What cultivar?

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, I searched through every Clematis picture in Plant Files and found some that look quite similar, but I'm not sure, and am hoping that a Clematis expert can help me out with identification. I picked this up at the end of the season last year (unmarked), then I thought it died, but much to my surprise it came back this winter and is growing like mad right now (obviously I don't have experience with Clematis)...

I thought it looked most like Voluceau, but my petals are shaped a little differently...Also my pic makes it look more burgandy/magenta than the dark purple with just a hint of burgandy that it is in person.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,

karen

Thumbnail by amarantha00
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

I wish we could find out what it is. I think it's beautiful. It looks like the foliage is paler than most Clematis....maybe that would be a clue?

Franklin, TX

I purchased one which looks like yours in Ft. Collins CO but planted it in Central TX. It dies back every Winter but comes on like "gang busters" in the Spring. The tags says it is a Niobe Clematis (Clematis x 'Niobe'). The tag also states it is "red" but it isn't... It looks like your picture.
Hopefully this information will be of some help to you.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Following JeanneTx advice proved much better results this year...
JeanneTx ...do you remember what this one was?

I really thought your tie die clematis was extremely cool looking.

Rj

oops sorry this was suppose to be it's own thread...

This message was edited May 3, 2007 6:40 PM

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks RJ..I am loving my "Tie Dye"..Here's a pic of my clematis "Niobe" for you to compare...Jeanne
ps..My Clematis "Voluceau" is just starting to bloom...so when it's fully open..I can post a pic for you to look...

This message was edited May 4, 2007 12:51 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks! It looks just like it.

How many clematis would you say you have?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Who me??..LOL..I lost count ...let's just say..ALOT!! I just got two in the mail today!!.."Cassis" and "Guernsey Cream"...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.