Red Winged Blackbird juvie school.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

This morning I saw a female Red Wing bring a juvie to the feeder and leave him there.
This is the first time I have seen this.

He looks a little bewildered at first.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

He starts trying to figure it out.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Trying incorrectly to crack open a sunflower seed.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Male adult lands beside him and does a demo. He seemed to be showing the way to the juvie, who was watching closely.

Thumbnail by trois
Marlton, NJ

Very cute! Thanks trois!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

You are welcome. It is fun to watch unobserved.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Fabulous, Trois! What a treat for you, and then for us!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Murmur.

I get an occasional good picture with the Lumix, but we get an education every day watching the video camera on the feeder. An additional treat is that we refill the feeder several times a day and the birds only move over a few feet instead of flying away.

trois

I can almost touch the Pine Siskins and the Chickadees before they take off, and even the Hummers are pretty tame, but most the others take off in a shot. I'm going through thistle like there was no tomorrow and the Goldfinches haven't even arrived yet (there's been one scout around, but that's all). I hope I find a sale on it soon!!!

I have Red-winged Blackbirds around all the time, but I've not been able to get a good photo of them . . . I'm going to get a new tripod and a remote as I am just too shaky, I guess!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

If you use a remote and conceal yourself from their view, their actions will be much more natural. Good luck with it.

trois

Thanks, Trois - I'm going to order both tonight and then wait on pins and needles!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Happy waiting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.