Planting in the rain?

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

It's raining steadily here, but it's not cold.

What do you think about planting calla lily bulbs in the rain?

I started them 2 weeks ago in grape boxes. They've sprouted well and have strong crisp white roots.

Shall I make like Gene Kelley and go "Diggin' in the Rain?"

(Zone 4a)

I always thought that planting anything in the rain was good. Isn't that why it is good to plant, divide etc in the spring or fall when it rains a lot?

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

How soggy is your soil? Does digging in it remind you of playing in the mud? If so, then I'd wait until the ground dries out some. If you plant too soon, then the soil will dry into hard pack.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I would wait until the rain stops and some of this water drains out a bit. I agree with ckk.

Tom

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Per my favorite (only) radio gardening show, this morning, do the plop test:

Take a handful of soil and drop it. If it remains in a soggy clump don't work in the soil. If it shatters and is nice and loose then plant.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, Ralph is awesome! I listen every week! Met him again this spring too!

Tom

I've always enjoyed him but when he picked my name as the winner of the rose contest, in 2005, I think I became his #1 fan.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Weather & Dawn, There are 2 issues:
1)In the Spring you have to wait for your soil to become workable so you don't damage it's structure. You could also rot seeds & plants when it's too wet.This year, the soil is slow to become workable due to the cold, rainy weather (usually it's very good by now).
2)After the above happens, it's ideal to plant on a day with light rain. This avoids the shock of the sun & provides moisture.

(Zone 4a)

Weather and Dawn hehehe I have been told. Ha just kidding Dave. It sounded like I was being scorned for a second. Thanks for the advice.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Rules are made to be broken. There were many times when I had no choice but to plant in soggy soil. Plants did fine. It's not like it's going to remain that way for weeks. What's the difference between planting in 'ideal' conditions and hours later you get saturated compared to planting when the soil is already soggy?? If you have decent drainage, it doesn't make much difference.

I'll side with Dave. Sorry, Victor.

That's okay! If I have a choice, I wait too. But from experience I know that for most plants, planting in soggy soil will have no effect whatsoever. If it looks like it will remain soggy for some crazy length of time, that's different.

(Zone 4a)

Well either way you wouldn't catch me planting in the rain - I melt in the rain hehe. I guess that means I am not a bonafide gardener.

Bona fide Canadian gardeners would plant in the snow.

(Zone 4a)

Very funny Victor.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey! I'm Canadian and I HATE snow - never had it as a child. Vancouver is a UN-declared snow-free zone :-)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dawn (and Weather) No scold intended. I was just trying to explain why you might hear 2 seemingly contradictory rule (wait untill your soil dries out and its good to plant on a cloudy/drizzley day).
I'm not sure why, but it seems I came across more rigid to you and Victor.
Actually, I don't follow ideal rules on a regular basis.

Actually, I was quite traumatized Dave. I think I'm okay now.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thank God! (I literally laughed out loud)

True confessions contine: I have planted in wet conditions but still wouldn't recommend it.

Thumbnail by pirl

Especially for bulbs! They are more prone to rot.

You're right but I really didn't plant in the puddle you see. I had to wash the soil off some potted lilies to find them so I could replant them in the garden. The ground was damp, not sodden.

(Zone 4a)

Actually Dave I sort of laughed when I saw that....for a brief moment there you sounded like my dad LOL! I took no offense...I keep mental notes of everything I learn here :)

Dawn - or you could keep notes on the mentals you find here.

Hey I resemble that remark!

(Zone 4a)

Oh trust me pirl I do....there are quite a few mentals around here but I won't name any names right Victor hehehe.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Of course, this whole conversation is moot if the darn weather (will I be censored for "darn?") doesn't improve. We may all end up having to plant in the rain.

"The sun'll come out ____________ (eventually)".

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh god . . . now I will have that song in my head the rest of the evening! Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Seandor, FYI, If you preview your post, it will tell you if you are crossing their line before you cross it.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Really? I have already been censored once after I posted because I wrote d_mn only with an "a" instead of an underscore.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

When in doubt preview!
There standards are very tight re curses, politics & religion. It sometimes feels weird to me but it's better than everyone fighting over where to draw the line.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I do preview - d_mn is a word I would normally hear on the Canadian Broadcasting Co ( along with much more colourful language - though nothing like Howard Stern!) I am very happy to comply, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I was just surprized, that's all.

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

I've contented myself with planting some of the bulbs in the planter on the patio. I think a squirrel is interested.

You can try a sprinkling of cayenne pepper. If it works he may not return........unless it's to bite you after suffering the effects of it.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Smart move weather!

Seandor, oh yeah. It takes reconditioning to learn what mild stuff is off limits here. Basically what I use with my 7 yr. old.

OH NO! MY wife just heard another week of rain!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Dave47, the 7 year rule is an excellent guideline.

(Zone 4a)

The weather forecast said we should see some sun by Thursday - OMG that seems so far away! BIG SIGH here.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I've started watching the weather with blinders on! I only see the end of the week weather: upper fifties, low sixties! And thanks alot you guys! Tomorrow, Tomorrow, ......Come what may! AHHHH! It's stuck in there now! I had to sing that in chorus one year, too many moons ago!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Rainy days and Mondays always get me.....
No, uhm... Let the sun shine in, let the..

Any help removing that song?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.