Lady Margaret

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

She's getting ready to burst!

Thumbnail by MySharona

another

Thumbnail by MySharona
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! I learned that this vine is hardy in my climate. Can't suggest for fellow gardeners in same zone to the the same. But I accidentally left a relatively small; 8" pot out by the pier, and it is making a come-back. Though, no flower buds yet, but the leaves are sprouting out quite vigorously. Zone 7b, being by the water makes it 5-8 degrees higher than average, and the humidity aids its survival. I'll try to grow this one outdoor this year and see how it works.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

One of my favorite Passionflowers. Congratulations!

Erick

Thanks! What river runs through Vincent? I hope your blooms as well as mine has.
It amazes me that Erick grows many passion vines in Minnesota!

I just took this picture.

Thumbnail by MySharona

I have a p.caerulea, but it's still a baby.

Thumbnail by MySharona
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

MySharona,

Any new pics of your vines to share? I sure wish I lived in your climate. I do indeed grow many different types of Passifloras here in Minnesota, but none in ground. Our summers, while relatively short, are nonetheless essentially tropical. We will be approaching 90F every day this week. Moving the plants indoors in the fall and out again in the spring is no fun, but it's worth it for the fabulous flowers!

Regards,

Erick

Hi Erick!
I just took these. I haven't counted but I think I have around 25 fruit now. The bees have been doing their job this year! I have to laugh, because I do the plant move a couple of times in the winter. I'm as far North as one can get and still be in Florida. We get around 5-6 freezes a year. I love it when they last 8 hours or more (fewer bugs).
Sharon

Thumbnail by MySharona

another view

Thumbnail by MySharona

here's another

Thumbnail by MySharona

She's really filled out. I have a question. When doing a cutting, almost all of the vines have buds on them. Do I trim off the buds?

Same angle as the first picture in this thread.

Thumbnail by MySharona

okay one more!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sharon those are great pictures. I will add this to my list of "needs"

I have to admit - she's my baby!
Gulf Frit butterfly emerged this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

lady marget fruit in a net

Thumbnail by phicks
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, Sharon! What a treat! Thanks for the all the new pics. Miss 'Lady Margaret' has always been my favorite Passiflora (so far anyways). It is a real thrill to see pics of such a large specimen. I'm lucky to get five flowers open in one day during the height of summer - I can only dream of the hundreds you've already had, and the thousands you have yet to see! Good for you. Please keep the pics coming.

In response to your questions about the buds....Yes, I respectfully suggest that you remove the buds on the cuttings your are rooting. They won't develop, but rather will hinder the cutting in developing new roots - more moisture loss, more potential for rot, etc. In my experience, the crucial part is to cover the cuttings with plastic, at least for the first couple weeks. When first planted, cuttings have no way of picking up moisture from the soil (they have no roots), so they quickly dry out unless the humidity is nearly 100%. Again, just make sure to take the cover off for awhile every day to bring in fresh air, or you will simply end up with a mold garden.

Marie, I will be sure to add a rooted P. 'Lady Margaret' cutting to my trade with you later this season.

Regards,

Erick

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Not to hijack your thread, Sharon, but here is my favorite P. 'Lady Margaret' picture, with complimentary ants.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN

I’ve netted 23 fruit so far and have only done the interior of the arbor. I have to get my DH to net the ones on top. There are so many more than I thought. I got dive bombed by bumblebees when I got in their way!
Erick – Your Lady Margaret is so pretty! I haven’t seen black ants in a long time. I have pismires (I think) the little red ants. I’ll post more pics in a little while…must have coffee! I'm also going to do some more cuttings today (less the buds). Thanks for all the information!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Okay - I just finished netting the rest of the fruit - I think! 33 today for a grand total of 56. I should be able to do something with at least a couple of them!
Erick you're right. I love checking on her everyday. Some days there aren't many blooms, but other days there will be up to 60 blooms (maybe more). She's a real treat for the eye. Everyone that see's her just loves her.
I found 2 more chrysalis' and this large cat almost ready to go into the pupae stage.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

and a cat of a different color supposed to be helping, but not... :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Eric - stunning photo...those colors are amazing!!
I just can't get enough of these bloom pics!!
Sharon - kitty looks like a tabby and tortie...beautiful!!

A different view of Lady M from the fence at the back of the lawn.

Thumbnail by MySharona

From the side

Thumbnail by MySharona

Three GF butterflies "hatched" this morning. Such a wonderful process to watch.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Simply gorgeous, MySharona! Luv the kitty to!!

:) Donna

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

pictures a bit fuzzy but its a albino gulf cat theres 3

Thumbnail by phicks
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is awesome P.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

was wondering if its just makeing a cocoon and not a albio?

Cool Paul! When the GF's go into the chrysalis they hang upside down. Generally withing 8-10 hours they are in chrysalis form. I've never seen an albino cat. Here's a picture of the cat beginning the chrysalis

Thumbnail by MySharona
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, this is a great thread. I have never seen a Lady Margaret so big, lush, and with so many buds. Very nice. I had also never seen the cat that the frits come from. Our frits here seem to be the Great Spangled Fritillary. I'd love to see the cats themselves, chewing away on my Lady Margaret.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ive got zerbra ones to yellow and black

Paul - You have Zebra Longwings? My neighbor has lots of them, they fly by once in a while. They are beautiful!
Here is a better picture of a GF caterpillar

Thumbnail by MySharona

Paul and Eric - The tips both of you gave me worked. I took 6 cuttings and 4 have taken root! Thank you both for your instructions!

The latest pic of Lady Margaret from the back of the lawn

Thumbnail by MySharona
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

What a beauty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.