electric deer fence

Northeast Harbor, ME

Okay, last year I spent a good bit of time preparing my soil for this year's first vegetable garden at my new home. Before, I lived in an area w/little deer problem so I never needed a deer fence, but I do now!

I have seen various layouts, some stageered and low, others 10' tall. Does anyone have any suggestions or great links on the set up and design of an electric deer fence?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

How funny! I just replied to another post on this subject. Here is a repeat of my two cents worth:

We now use an electric fence that is a thin wire stretched around the property. It is only about 20 inches above the ground and can easily be stepped over by people, and can be temporarily slid down to ground level, so that I can roll my wheelbarrow over it. It is hooked up to the timer that controls our outdoor lights up next to the house, and only comes on after dark - that is mostly when the deer come out to feed.

My DH has touched the wire when it is on, and says it feels like the small shock that you get from walking across a wool rug and touching a door knob. Nothing dangerous; just enough to scare them away.

This is NOT the same kind that is designed for control of cattle. Those use much higher voltage and current levels that could be dangerous to people and deer.

The deer have not shown any interest in jumping over it, and have stayed away for several months now. They graze everything within a foot of the other side of the wire, but have not touched anything on this side of it. I talked to a guy that has gardened in this area for over 20 years, and he says that eventually, the deer get conditioned to avoid the wires, and they won't need to be electrified.

The entire thing cost just a little over a hundred dollars, including the adjustable level stakes, wire, and power supply. They make a solar powered unit that costs a little more, but does not need to be plugged into a regular outlet. It took my husband about 30 minutes to install it around our front yard (a couple of hundred feet ). Here in Texas, they are sold in Tractor Supply stores. You may be able to find them in feed stores as well.

Let me know if you need to see some pictures of the set-up.

Sheral

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.