What kind of duck is this?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

This is a duck, not a bird, but thought someone here could identify it. It showed up yesterday and fought the male Wood Duck for the attention of the female. He came back today. Is he a cross between a Wood Duck and some other duck? His head feathers are a reddish-brown.

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Another shot.

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Looks like a Mandarin...possibly a cross of Woody and Mandy...LOL sounds like a married couples name.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They might mate but the eggs wouldn't be fertile. Fairly sure about that...also fleurs, ducks are birds!!

This message was edited Apr 15, 2007 3:03 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Mandarin Duck.

Claypa is right, Mandarin x Wood is a sterile hybrid combination, as they have different chromosome numbers. Many ducks can hybridise successfully, but not these two.

Resin

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim, claypa and Resin. This is the first time in 4 years we've seen him here. The Woodies are regulars. Mr. Woody is not too happy about him being here as you can well imagine!

Debra

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I did not think the two could make a duckling. But, I read (somewhere) that they have. Oh well, you can't believe everything you read ;o) He does not seem to have all the (usual) plummage, so I thought maybe a cross but I guess he was just born that way. Thanks for the info.

Kim

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Mandarin Duck (as one might guess from its name!) comes from China; it is a popular aviary species, and frequently escapes.

In Britain they are now breeding ferally (much like House Sparrows in the US, except not so numerous!); I don't know if they are doing so in the US too.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.