Ewwwwww

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well I'm definitely going to shut down my computers before I go to bed tonight! I think we are going to get some much needed rain Deb. Looks like it will be a noisy dawn.

This is the 10:45 pm radar.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yup. It is so needed. But - sure would be nice if it would come in a nice slow rainy day, instead of a scary-looking storm system. Guess we beggars can't be choosers. :)
Deb

Johns Island, SC

But it sounds like if we get any rain at all, it will be the "Frog Strangler" type, X. Not at all what we need at this point. How about 3 dreary days of slow drizzle that delivers 4-5 inches of rain that can actually seep into the soil, instead of running off? I actually LIKE that dreary scenario better than the forecast...Batten the hatches tonight!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I turned the irrigation system on late yesterday to wet down the soil in hopes that the rain would run in instead of off. However, not a drop around here yet and the radar seems to have it all going towards Charleston now. Not Fair! (I hope by saying we will not get any rain I am proven wrong; that is usually the way it happens.)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well today is braided hair day for me! The wind is awful and blowing everything over. I ran outside between rain drops and dug into my rose bed and found its very well saturated.

Greenhouse is locked up tight too. I just hope this wind doesn't blow out panels!

X

Waaaaaa, still dry and not very happy here!

Just checked the forecast and they are still saying 100% chance of rain but are only forecasting 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The sun keeps popping out and it doesn't look positive for us.

However, we are getting the 40 mph wind gusts and they are just drying things out more. This is sad, I spread Holly Tone on the acid lovers yesterday hoping it would get watered in, now, I will be lucky if it doesn't blow away.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

My rain gage shows we got about 1" overnight. Been watching the radar this morning though and this last big area of rain seems to be skirting past to the NW. I'm grateful for the inch we did get~!
The wind is playing havoc with some of my plants, but overall, can't complain.
Ardesia, I hope something liquid comes your way!
Deb
PS/Oops - made me a liar - just about to push "send" and a downpour started.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

We lucked out here. The rain started last night-pretty heavy at times, but no damage- and continues to be steady today. I planted all the perennials that I bought before the freeze yesterday in hopes...Today, the weather guys rock. Ardesia, hope some of this blows your way!

Sigh, still nothing wet around here and the radar shows everything is gone. Earlier it showed bands to the east and west of us and we just sat sadly in the middle. I am about to spit on the garden.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I think Deb n I got a pretty good dousing. The wind on the other hand is awful. We just got power back after it being out for 2 and a half hours!!!!

Everything looks so happy and green right now!

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, the wind has been a pain. Seems to be calming now, but chilly! About 20 degrees cooler than this time yesterday. Forecasts seem to put tonight's low anywhere between 35 and 40 in our neck of the woods. Has anyone heard the word frost? I hope not - don't want to drag those pots in --- again. :)
Deb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Havent seen anything about frost .. the weather i check says 41 for a low. It certainly is a lot cooler! had to put on more clothes! I was cold!

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just when I was enjoying being out there in shorts and flip-flops! LOL!
Nature. Keeps you humble, doesn't it. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

My garden has been hit hard by the cold temperatures and I am unhappy. I know some things will survive, but some will not. We are surrounded by forest and as you look out many of the trees appear to be dead. Those which were flowering now have only limp withering brown clumps hanging from their branches. Many of our ornamentals had put forth significant new growth, only to have it frozen to death. Even plants which stay green all winter are showing brown. I've lost a few plants here and there to various agents, but this is the first time I have suffered such extensive damage. The only thing which comes close is a heavy hail storm we had 3 years ago.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Missgarney: I really hope they aren't truly dead, but will come back. It has been a really mean spring. I was fortunate to only lose one tropical and some azaleas in bud froze before they could bloom. I really sympathize with you all up in North Car. because it seems to have been worse there than just a bit south where we are.
Deb

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

This year has given new meaning to the line from the poem, "April is the Cruellest Month". We had temperatures in the 80's. The plants were going like gangbusters. Of course we knew we would more frosts, but what we got was incredible...and I'm not sure it's over. Night after night we had cold; one night it was 19. Daylily and hosta vegetation lies on the ground pale and translucent, matted like cooked greens. Even the cast iron evergreen ornamentals like euonymous and Japanes cypress suffered complete killing of the new growth they had put forth.

The weekend has been moderate, but today a cold front is barrelling over the mtns and the temperature has dropped from 65 to 45 in the past three hours.

Certain plants have shown amazing hardiness: phlox paniculata "David", Coreopsis "Zagreb", a few others, appear untouched!

Debbbbbbbb! Are you just trying to rub it in?????

2", wow, that looks great. In anticipation of the wind I watered well, especially the containers, but the 30 to 45 mph winds all day have dessicated everything. They might as well have frozen. Large containers have blown over and branches are flying everywhere, not to mention the SC grenade, the flying pine cone. Poor dog has not been walked for fear of being beaned by something. Wind is supposed to die back to 25 after midnight.
(DH says I sound like a farmer, always complaining about the weather, LOL)

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

missgarney no snow yet? Here in Nantahla it's been snowing since about 3:00. About an inch or two so far. The wind is howling have ad gust to 60 mph. All the tree here were hit hard last week as was everything else. I guess this year the garden will be Annuals until everything recovers next spring.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia: LOL! I'm sorry. No, I wasn't trying to rub it in. I can't believe you got no rain at all.
I'm chuckling about the "SC grenade". I was out early this afternoon inspecting the damage from the wind and got conked on the head by a nice size one. We just spread 16 yds of topsoil and a portion of it is headed for the pond at the end of the street. I had a large bird of paradise in a pot out side and - before it got knocked over - the leaves shredded. There are branches everywhere (we have weak trees). I'm sorry you don't have the consolation of having gotten a good soak with your wind. :(
Deb

PS/Edited to say, GLD: Snow??? This spring is so NOT normal.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2007 6:17 PM

Johns Island, SC

That wind was something else! Sounded like Hugo...and it's still blowing hard out there. A friend of mine in Manning got 2" of rain, Deb got 2", I got 2/10ths of an inch, ardesia got skunked. The rain just skips over the coastal areas. I think it must be a conspiracy!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

My goodness, ardesia. I can't believe that anyone is still dry. It has been raining pretty steadily here since last night. We've also had high winds and a few small hailstones. Glad those didn't last long. My new hosta garden is under tree cover so nothing got damaged there. It's 46 here, but still windy and cold feeling.
Has anyone got any great remedy for poison ivy? I'm itching like crazy!

We haven't had rain in 8 weeks now. It was all around us but like Stono said, it skips the coastal areas.

The wind is just not stopping and we just heard there are problems at the marina with boats and equipment flying around. Good thing we sold our boat last week. I think the marina owner owns another near you Stono; River's Edge? They are supposedly having problems too.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm not getting much rain where I am either. My little fruit orchard idea is going well. No rain since I planted, frost which almost got my trees. Today, 40 mph winds bending the little guys over. What's next? Rabbit attacks? Bugs? I can only hope for a good blight. LOL. I still have peaches and flowers on my apples and citrus so the forces to be haven't got me yet. LOL. Forgot my neighbors dog decided to prune my pomegranate for me. It's now minus about two feet off the top. Nice.

Oh Corey, you and I are going to have water bills that resemble the national debt.

The wind has let up a little but only a little; I am so sick of listening to it and I don't even want to think about the clean up. However, we are pretty fortunate to have avoided the tornados that hit Walterboro and Sumter Still way to windy to turn the sprinklers on but everything is so dry.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I think the wind here is just now calming down. As I was driving to work this morning, I saw an enormous tree, a gum or maple perhaps, very large snapped over like a twig. The trunk was probably a yard in diameter. Fortunately for the folks there, it fell away from their house.

I hope all of my "coastal" pals get rain soon. I'll think "damp" thoughts for you. :)
Deb

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

The wind here has been brutal. Looks like I'm going to have to stake my dwarf cedar back up. The biggest dissapointment today...all the rose buds on my English roses have blackened up. I know that they will recover-the leaves are fine, but the last 2 nights finally got my flowers!

Johns Island, SC

I'm not familiar with River's Edge Marina, Ardesia, but I'm sure they had problems. Everyone did. A sailboat got loose in the Folly and blew up the river, got wedged against the bridge and spent the day (and probably night) riding 2'-3' waves (in the Folly?!!) up and down against the concrete pilings. It's history. Just hope it didn't sink.
This wind is doing bad things to us water-starved people! It's a drying wind, so you can't keep up with the watering demands of the plants. I have a bunch of stuff still in 4" pots in and around the greenhouse that I have to hand water every day. Some are on an automatic drip system, but most are on the old fashioned watering can system. Doesn't matter. If they all get watered at 8-9 am, by 2pm they are wilted and drooping! Never seen anything like it. Hope I never do again. I'm tired of it, and ready to join the Rain Dance...

LOL, I can associate with that rain dance. I woke up in the middle of the night and the wind had died down so I quickly ran out and started the sprinklers. It won't help the crispy leaves but will keep things alive I hope.

Found out River's Edge is the marina on the Ashley near 526; I thought it was the one on the Stono off Main Rd.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

This is the tree I mentioned in my post yesterday...
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Looks like the bugs were working on that tree. Last year my nieghbor had one that looked just like that. It was totally rotted out on the inside but the outside looked fine except the woodpeckers kept pecking on it. That should have been a warning.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, I took a closer look when I drove by and the inside looks like sawdust. It wasn't healthy, that's for sure. Shame though. There's goes their nice symetry.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.