Is anyone going to Harrogate Spring flower show?

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I'm going on either the Thursday or Friday - 26th or 27th April. I always enjoy this as the first show of the year near us. The plants I bought at last year's show are all growing and flowering nicely, but I'm sure I'll find space for a few more!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Not this year, alas.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Perhaps in the future,

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I will be able to travel again.

They are lovely colourful posters - what a good idea to photograph them. How long is it since the Harrogate one? It looks like quite an old one.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I got them in 1992, they were a set of postcards I picked up somewhere in London, at a kiosk in the Tube. They were posters that had been reduced, no other info except they were 'old'. I have a postcard collection (&other small cards).

Yorkshire,

We've just decided to go to Harrogate flower show next Thursday :o)
We have been to it for the past 8+ years and look forward to it, but we'd thought we'd be too busy to go this year. Yesterday evening we decided we'd go, even though it will be a fleeting visit. I'll be armed with my camera (as usual) so will take plenty of nice piccies :o)
We've decided not to buy any more plants this year (where have I heard THAT before??) LOL
Oh, I love this show and can't wait for Thursday to come **big grin**

Terri

We've decided to go on Friday . I hope the weather holds, although there is plenty under cover if it doesn't. I came back with masses of plants last year. My rule is not to buy anything unless I know exactly where I will put it, but I still have two shrubs waiting for a suitable space from last year's show.

I also like the goodies in the food tent.

Enjoy the show.

Pat

Ballintleva, Ireland

Ooooh...Would love to go...haven't visited Harrogate for years!...but since re-locating in the west of Ireland, now have all the land I could wish for, but so miss all the gardens and shows...just anything to give a little inspiraton!

I plan to go to Tatton in July with my mom, and am so exited, I just cannot wait!
I would normally fly over, but think I may have to drive as I may have a little shopping to do! (There's not much to buy out here, garden centres are not like in the UK)

Have a wonderful time...can you "report back" on all the things I've missed?
Sue

Well it was an enjoyable day out and I did buy one or two plants:
Hosta El Nino
Pittosporum Tom Thumb
Cematis cartmanii Joe
Euphorbia martinii
Tiarella Pink Bouquet
Dwarf Iris Cherry garden
Scented Pelargoniums Peach Cream - peach scented with a green and cream leaf
Wood's Surprise - a cream and green ivy leaved one with a cinamon scent and
Candy Dancer a rose scented one with a deeply divided leaf.

Here is a photo of the Iris, the flash makes it look a bit lighter than it actually is.

Thumbnail by Patbarr

and the Euphorbia martinii

Thumbnail by Patbarr

and the Clematis cartmanii Joe. I've been told this one is a bit tender so will have to choose a place carefully, or perhaps keep it in a pot.

Thumbnail by Patbarr
Yorkshire,

Oh my!! PatB, you bought some beauties there! I already have 'Cherry Gardens' and can vouch for how pretty that little iris is :o)
We were really very good and bought only a few bits and pieces this year. I fell in love with some Auriculas (don't want to start another 'collection' here, so have to be very strict with myself) and I bought 4 of those.
Here are some of the photographs I took of various things while we were there.

First one of the Auriculas.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

Another Auricula, this one has candy stripes.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

One of the floral arrangements. I thought this one was fantastic! So much thought and talent went into creating it.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

A perfect little WC for the fairies.LOL

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

One of the beautiful orchids on display.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

We liked this display of sempervivums. It was simple, but really pretty.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

Love the leaves on this!!

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

Last but not least...a pretty white Clematis display.
It was a lovely day...and we bought plenty of vine weevil killer, LOL

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pat,

Next fall, if I remember, I would love to trade some cuttings of my scented pelargoniums for some of yours, they travel well when the days are short and cool. I have 10 different kinds.

Hi Terri, It was a lovely show wasn't it. I almost bought the Spotty Dotty until I saw that it was £9. I'm always impressed with the insectivorous plant display - if that was where the fairy toilet was from. I keep buying various types of Saracena but they usually end up looking rather brown and scruffy. One has flowered, but is actually being eaten by greenfly, so it isn't doing a very good job.

Remind me about the Pelargonium cuttings Dale. I've got a few others - Clorinda and a very lemony scented one. You will have to advise me how to pack them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pat, is Spotty Dotty someone's dog?

I will advise you in the fall about the pelargoniums.

No Dale it is the Podophyllum, but it would suit a spotty dog.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.