At My Feeder Today

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

I had a visitor!

Thumbnail by LadibugZ9
Fernandina Beach, FL(Zone 8b)

Beautiful! Yesterday, I removed my feeder because I have not seen any hummingbirds in 2 years. And guess what? Just an hour ago, I saw one. Needless to say, the feeder is back outside.

Marlton, NJ

Very cool; Congratulations!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I have that same feeder shown in your picture. Have you noticed if hummers actually rest on the little perches? I haven't noticed any perching on mine so I twined a piece of flexible twig through the perch to get them to sit and sip.

Love your picture, and your feeder is under cover too. Neat!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Oh, how sweet. I will be glad when mine get back.

Cordeledawg, I guess they do rest on the perches. But what is my picture compared to betterbloom’s pictures of her thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/715467/!

Thumbnail by Maria2354
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I like the circled perches and the T perches on the type feeders like in your pic better than the tiny flower-shaped feeder shown in the first pic. I have both types of feeders and modified the perch of the first pic to better accommodate the hummers perch postion. I did this after I noticed they would only hover and sip until I intertwined a little twig through the perches of the feeder in the first photo. Great action photos!

Edited because I can't type, spell or write the English Language when I'm wore out from gardening all morning.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 2:35 PM

Thanks Cordeledawg, but the first pic of this thread belongs to Ladybug. I do have a feeder similar to Ladybug’s in my yard, except it does not have the little footrests. Yesterday, I did see one hummer feeding there. Then I saw another hummer in my gum tree and I dug out the older feeder in the pics. To my surprise, I have seen several hummers on that feeder today and none on the bright red one. I hope that I captured the hummer in this pic a little better. Don’t have any pics with hummers on my hands, yet. LOL

Does anyone know what kind of hummer is in the pic? It is dark green with a light throat.

Thumbnail by Maria2354

Zoomed in

Thumbnail by Maria2354
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Looks like a female Ruby Throat but I'm no expert.

Thanks Cordeledawg, you could be right… http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/special/101-web/2006-07-23-hummingbird-an.gif I found this clip when searching for Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Maria - Send one down my way, please!!! lol

Well...hope she makes it. LOL

Thumbnail by Maria2354

ROTFL!!!! Y'all are toooooo funny! Love it!!!

Thanks everyone! Maybe everyone's good wishes for me to get one will work! I continue to strive to entice the little birdies to my yard! Any and all suggestions will be considered!!! :-) :-) :-)

Keep those photos coming! I gotta have my hummer fix ....one way or the other! LOL!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Saw my first hummer for the season this weekend!

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations!!!

My hummer(s) must be on the way to Becky already. Only saw one this AM.

Maria - I don't know about the hummers heading my way, but I was outside in my garden watering plants right at dark tonight and I kept hearing this loud humming sound. I finally spotted it! It was a hummingbird MOTH. They are soooo cool to watch. They drink nectar in flight like hummers do and could fool ya if you didn't look closely. These moths might be the closest I ever get to having hummingbirds in my yard! LOL! This is a photo I took last November of a Hummingbird/Sphinx Moth.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That is a wonderful photo! It's worth growing all the flowers for those little guys.

Wow, Becky! I am impressed. What's a hummer compared to that! I have never seen or even heard of those moths before. Cool picture! How often do you see them in your yard? I saw my lonely hummer once more tonight. I think she has a nest in an Elderberry tree nearby and will migrate north once the young ones are raised.

Thanks, y'all!

Maria - Ohhhhh ..... I'd still prefer to have some hummers in my yard! lol The moths actually live in my yard. I see them off and on in the evenings when I am out in the yard. But this one tonight was humming right around my head, because the 2 Golden Dew Drops (Duranta erecta) that I was standing next to is loaded with flowers right now. In fact .... on another thread I started, I believe that I have a chrysalis of one that should be emerging into it's moth form in about a week. They start out as green cats and then turn brown. They have eye spots on the caterpillar stage that make them look like small snakes to ward off predators. They are really neat. It got almost as big as my finger! Those moths really are cool looking! And they zip from flower to flower so fast that they do get mistaken for hummers by a lot of folks.

Here's the thread I started recently about the moth:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/709337/

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Great night pic Becky! I love those moths and cats too! They don't really seem to mind having their picture taken with the flash either.

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Becky, I love your photo of the hummingbird moth. I have had those in my yard too, but haven't seen them recently. I also have Duranta blooming so maybe they will show up. Those moths are huge! Good information also on their catepillar stage. I'd like to see a picture of the catepillar if you have one.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I live in south Florida, where our hummingbirds arrive late August or so and leave in April. I haven't seen any for a couple weeks. They must be heading north.

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

I haven't seen the female in a while. I'm hoping that she has a nest now. I've heard that when the female is nesting, she has to eat insects in order to feed her young protein.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hey gal,
how are things in the swamps? I saw a hummer yesterday at my feeder up here on the hill! They found me!

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Lisa!

Everything's well here in the swamps. How are you liking your new home? I'm glad the hummers found you! Remember the baby palms you helped me pick out? They've grown as tall as the fence now!

Thumbnail by LadibugZ9
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hey, they look great! They'll be big in no time at all.

I love it here, the temps are great! You can walk outside in the morning and not have your breath sucked out by the humidity! I can also sit outside and not get eaten up by skeeters! I hope ya'll get to come by and visit us one day, we have a place for camper parking/hookups ..you both are welcome anytime. This morning I saw two big deer in my backyard..err..forest!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.