Impressionist-Pic

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Bloomed for me yesterday...

Thumbnail by Moodene
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful. Is it also a good grower?

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Moodene, you have the most beautiful irises!

well all of mine are in pots!!
better that way..LOL....

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

really? do they do better for you in pots in Texas? ..Do you overwinter them outside.....what size pots?.....they are sooo beautiful

Yes they do better in pots cuz I have cold wet winters! So my irises do better in 1 gallon pots buried in the ground if I wish to move them..I do have the old fashion irises- yellow ones that are planted in the ground in a boggy area..Those do better there..

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

When I don't get things planted, I plant them in 1 gal. pots. I don't bury them in the ground though. Most winter over but I lose a higher proportion of the potted ones that the ones in the ground. I rarely lose an iris in the ground. Our soil is sandy and our weather is dry. I do keep the potted iris wet, well perhaps not as wet as I had intended. One of my resolutions this year is not to buy any more plants until the ones I have are all planted.

My biggest reason for not planting is lack of soil. I have to build up at least a few inches before I can plant anything. So compost, compost, compost! Once there is enough of it, though, my irises love it.

moodene you do have some lovlies

I had this one bloom today..Harlem Hussy

Thumbnail by jackieshar

and this one

Thumbnail by jackieshar

and an old time favorite

Thumbnail by jackieshar

an old style with small blooms..austrailian canna,in pots still, in background

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Jackieshar,
I think I have the same white/yellow one you posted, but don't know the name because it came with the house. I am very fond of it.
The light purplish pink with orange falls looks like Persian Berry which, for some reason, I have had trouble with. I haven't given up though. I will try again this year.
Beautiful collection of blooms.

I think the white/yellow has something with Halo in the name..tag is faded.Yes, the other is Persian Berry and this is the first year with it here. It seems to be doing great

edited to say the picture is of Champagne Elegance, a kinda puny bloom this year

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 6:42 PM

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by jackieshar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.