When to add the fertilizer?!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I had my soil tested a couple of weeks ago(new garden site) and was told to add 5-10-10 to the garden in early spring(also calcitric limestone). My question is should I put it on now and when I plant not put any additional fertiler as I normally do or can I just put that under my plants and not spread it now? Any info would be great! Thanks, :) Sue

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm surprised nobody else has responded yet.
I think you could do either ! how helpful is that ?
I spread it around my established plants and scratch it in. I might sprinkle it around on a patch of garden where I will be putting rows of veggies, and dig it in. I'm pretty casual about fertilizer, but not to say I have the best results......

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sallyg! I've been thinking maybe I'll just put it where I plant instead of broadcasting right now. I don't want to over fertilize. I'm not usually real particular about the fertiziler either but we moved a couple of years ago and last year's garden didn't do very well. So I picked a new spot and thought I'd get the soil test. Before I moved here I was in the same place gardening for 25 years so the garden was well-built up over the years with compost, manure, ect. Wish I could have moved the garden with me!!lol!

oh, so true. I would hate to leave my dirt that I've worked with for so long, almost as much as leaving the plants.
I must admit that fertilizer does seem to encourage things to grow !

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hey Sally Have you been able to start planting yet or is the weather still cold down there? We've been running 10 to 20 degrees below normal up here but the weathermen are saying we should go above normal this weekend for the first time this month!

I have moved a few perennials on the odd nice days, mostly because I had to because of construction here, but partly because I couldn't stand not doing something in the garden .
Planted english peas about three weeks ago and they just came up. Swiss chard hasn't come up, so I think the soil's a little cool. No sign of asparagus. Yes, I heard the word 'seventy' sometimes during the forecast and that sounds great!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I hope they are right!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.