Aleppo peppers

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

Has any body seen a source for Aleppo pepper seed? It is used a lot in middle eastern cooking. They originated in Syria I believe.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't seen it listed anywhere that I've looked -- but I'd be interested also in finding seeds. Penzey's (great mail order and retail source for herbs & spices) started carrying crushed Aleppo pepper a year or so ago, and I really like it! http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have been looking for Allepo pepper seed for years, but as far as I can tell it doesn't exist in the US except ground. It is from Syria but is widely used in Turkey. If I ever go to Turkey again I will be sorely tempted to spill a few seeds in the bottom of my suitcase.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The next time I order from Penzeys, I'll get a bag and check for seeds... theirs is crushed rather than ground, and it seems to me I've seen a seed or two in it, but none remaining in my jar. Since it's likely that the peppers were sun dried rather than oven dried, I think there's a chance that such a seed would be viable. And I do like the flavor -- it's very spritely, without being especially hot.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have heard of other DGers who have found seed and tried to sprout it. I didn't hear the results. I agree about the sprightly flavor but not too hot. I would love to grow it!

Louisville, KY

Contact this lady in Bloomington, IN; if anyone knows where you could get seed she would be the one.
Good luck!
Gary/Louisville

Any chile pepper databaseALEPPO PEPPER (PI 181865). (128 add to my growing list). Species: Frutescens ... A variety named by Richard Sterling from seed collected in Cambodia. ...
www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Any&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Frutescens

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I will give it a try! I also thought I might try contacting the owner of Bakers' Seed to see if they would look into importing it. I suspect its Syrian origin is the problem. But if they let the finished product in it should be okay to let the seed in! Thanks for the info.

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

I have two sources working on it for me. One is from Syria, the other is a military connection. Probably won't have any results though until after Aug or Sept. Will share if they come.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That would be wonderful! Aleppo peppers are available all over Turkey so one doesn't have to go to Syria to get them. I would be thrilled if I could get some any time. Thanks for pursuing this for us!

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

mscheinost,

I would love to swap you something, if you get some seed you are able to share-I have 2 excellent cookbooks, Paula Wolfert's 'The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean' & Sonia Uvezian's 'Recipes & Remembrances from an Eastern Meditteranean Kitchen', & I keep thinking, I MUST get some Aleppo peppers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.