I don't have any bird pictures but wanted to share these

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

This is Jane Doe she came to my apartment 5 years ago.

Thumbnail by lawunder
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Jane doe came back with her babe...I feed them for two years before I moved away.
I really miss them and and know they are coming to my old apartment for food.I just
hope the current occupants are animal friendly.

Thumbnail by lawunder
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Another picture of mom and babe

Thumbnail by lawunder
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love bird watching but I can't ever capture a picture in my backyard.When I open the
door they fly away.I have lots of chickadees,tuff tits,lots of doves and my favorites
Downy and Red Bellied WPs The gold finches will be coming soon...can't wait.
Maybe I can get a picture of them...they are not as flighty.

Lawrenceville, GA

I love birds that aren't "flighty." !!!

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

No need to be sacrastic...what I meant by "flighlty" is birds that are easily scared away.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2007 3:37 PM

Lawrenceville, GA

Oh I know what you meant, and I assumed everyone would know I was kidding, not being sarcastic. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Marlton, NJ

Hi law, Great pics of Jane Doe and her babe! Very sweet!

Are your feeders too far away for pics to be taken from inside? I have moved a few of mine closer to the house just for taking pics. Once the weather warms a little just go outside and sit for a while and they'll be back; they just need to get used to your presence.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

No problem

Lawrenceville, GA

It just struck me as funny.
And I would take one of these deer in exchange for my dozen squirrels any day!
Pelletory is right... they will soon get so used to your being there they'll barely wait for you to step away from the feeders. I actually had a wren come get a mealworm from my hand the other day.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The birds that hang out in my yard have gotten so used to me being out there. They sit on the power wires while I fill the feeders singing away. I like to think they are thanking me.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Iawunder,

Don't know if you've maybe not seen, there's also a Wildlife forum on DG, for deer, and other "non-birds":
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/wildlife/

Resin

Marlton, NJ

As much as I love to look at deer I would not want them in my yard munching away at all the plants I put in over time. The squirrels are a definite pain too thats for sure. Mine are always chasing the birds out of the trees etc.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Welcome to the Bird Watching forum lawunder.

It looks like you have a great bird sanctuary out there that the deer also enjoy. I hope you are able to get some photos of your feathered visitors to go with those great furry visitors. :-)

Some birds are pretty "flighty". Excellent word for those that are skittish, by the way. :-) Pelle had a great idea of taking photos from inside the house. I do that sometimes too. I can't get quite the clarity that I want, but I get shots that I might not otherwise get. That's how I got this photo of the hummingbird.

I've always had this thought that I would get dressed up in camouflage and go sit close to the feeders. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Lawrenceville, GA

Oh my, Janet! I hadn't seen that one of your pics. I hope you don't mind, I already made it my new desktop pattern. It really is beautiful.
And I should know, but what kind of plant is that?

This message was edited Apr 13, 2007 6:20 PM

Marlton, NJ

Certain birds like Chickadees, House Finch, Downy Woodpeckers and Carolina Wrens will come in when your sitting very close.

Heres one I took while sitting just 5-6 feet from the feeder. female Downy Woodpecker

Thumbnail by pelletory
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the responses and the link from Resin....I'm new here and I didn't mean to
intrude with my deer pics...sorry

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I didn't mean to intrude with my deer pics...sorry

No problem! Just to help find your way around. Welcome to the forums!

Resin

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

It's a shrimp plant Judy.

Lawrenceville, GA

Hmmmmmm.. Wonder how that'd do in Georgia.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a close up of the blooms.

This is the 3rd or 4th year for that Shrimp in my yard. I never have to cover it in the "winter" here. It doesn't always look this good, but it was one of the first plants with any blooms this year, so it's on high up on my list of favorites. :-)

That is the only plant I've seen the hummer on this year and that was the only time I actually spotted him. I happened to be standing at the window when he was nectaring. Fortunately, the camera was sitting on a table by the window or else I wouldn't have gotten those photos.

I usually have seen several by now. My lantana that they loved so much last year hasn't come back yet. If it doesn't show back up soon, I will replant more in the same spot.

Janet

Lawrenceville, GA

I've heard of a shrimp plant but hadn't ever seen one. I certainly see how it got its name. Shoot. I was going to try to stay OUT of the nursery this weekend. Curse you Janet!!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

If you are in Southern Georgia, I'd think you would have about the same climate that I do. I'm in Southeast Texas, fairly close to the coast line. If you are in Northern Georgia, it might get too cold. I just don't know for sure. Have you checked the plant files?

Shrimp plant comes in several colors of blooms. I had a yellow shrimp last year, but somehow, it bit the dust. I've seen the blooms more of a green also.

They are very stunning plants when they are in full bloom. They do get quite tall. My sister Connie has one that gets over 6 ft. tall. The one at my house in the first photo is about 3 1/2 to 4 ft. tall. It seems taller because it's contained in a pot.

Last year it was in the ground in that same spot with some mother in law's tongues. The tongues froze and were very ugly. I dug up the shrimp and planted it with some bluebonnets.

I've tried taking cuttings but they just don't root well for me. I didn't have any root hormone though and that may be what was needed to propagate it.

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Yikes!!! Sorry for being an enabler. :-(

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.