Termites in lasagna bed

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

DH discovered flying termites today in an as yet unplanted bed. He sort of dug them up, sprayed flying insect killer on them and then covered them up again.

What is your experience and suggestion?

Missouri City, TX

I would check all buildings for signs of activity - little tubes of soil up the foundation to the wood supply (building structure).

You may want to call in professional help.

When I had them at our house, to took a second treatment to solve the problem. but I also warned all the neighbors. The when I saw swarms of queens the next year - again warned everyone. I have been very careful about what wood touches ground now.

There are baits available, but I do not have any experience with them.

ALSO - BEWARE - if they are Formosan they can do a lot more damage than the common ground termites.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

This has hapened here in Ga., where they built a subdivision and covered the foundation with "local" bark, and chips, and caused a serious termite problem, especially with the wood frame houses.I read where you need to leave 6' from the foundation before covering the beds with mulch.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

We haven't folllowed up on thtese termintes, DH says they are not the Fromosan type, anyway, that seems to be good news. The bed in question is at least 20 feet from the house, on which the wood part starts 2-3 feet above ground. We have had this strange weather, like you all have had too, plus flu, so lots to worry about.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another thought: In spraying pesticide you also kill off beneficial insects which help turn the lasagna ingredients into compost.

Karen

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

As far as termites go, I'm sure I have as many as anyone, but my house is on a contract for termites, and if you keep as many wood products, as I then you should take the precausion too.I believe that if its humas, then it will be used soon enough.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.