Nesting Material Despenser

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a little rope beside the Parsley patch to hold the butterfly cage down when I put it outside.. When the rope is unused I rest it on the ground. Lately every time I come out the rope is draped across the host plants in the bed. Different birds have been trying to abscound with the rope for nesting material, much to their dismay they fly off and get little jerked back, lol. I wish I could catch that on camera..It has to be halarious.
That said, I've been meaning to make this nesting material despenser and staple it to the back side of the tree in my bird area. It is just a gallon size zip bag with sterile gauze and cotton shreads in it. Finally got it up this morning.. And I'm still watching the rope...

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I seriously question the wisdom of putting out similar nesting materials!

The following Link points out man made materials are not necessarily suitable
to withstand the rigors of weather bird nests are exposed to.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.islandnet.com/beaconhillpark/graphics/250_bushtit_10K250.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.islandnet.com/beaconhillpark/contents/chapter18.htm&h=250&w=205&sz=10&hl=en&start=21&tbnid=rj0z3T3S5lJFYM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBushtit%2Bnest%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DHPIA,HPIA:2005-41,HPIA:en%26sa%3DN
"At least six Bushtit nests were constructed in the Park in 2002; all but one were destroyed.
High winds, a powerful Park sprinkler and poor construction
(one nest included a heavy component of Kleenex) were some of the causes."

This message was edited Apr 13, 2007 7:06 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you grasmussen, I do appreciate wisdom!... However, I'm afraid birds will find whatever they think will work. They use all sorts of things, unfortunatly even kleenex. A couple weeks ago I saw a sparrow flying across the road with a 3 foot piece of toilet paper...I had such a chuckle. She looked like a kite tail without a kite. Yet I seriously agree with you, kleenex will fall apart..big disaster potential.
I know wool is alright, the gauze is very sturdy, but I am still experimenting with different materials, (I think I might need a hair trim, or I could yank out some of my gray ones, lol).

The spotlight is actually on the despenser itself. Maureen sells 'nesting wool' but she wants $8 for a very small bag. Just improvising a little, and will let you know what ends up working the best.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Interesting nesting materials display. Have you had any customers?

I have to put some comfy stuff out too. Thanks for reminding me.

I will be sure to stay away from the Kleenex component. Thanks for bringing that up.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Judy,
I think there have been a few tugs on it, but I'm going to change up the mix to clean natural wool and hair and more wisely reccommended materials. ;-) If anyone reading this has any suggestions please post them.

:-Deb

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I saw a dispenser recently in some magazine I think, it was a tube of 1/2" hardware cloth. That way the birds can lite on the wire and hold on while pulling out the materials.
This little house finch decided I put this flower pot liner out just for his pleasure!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
This little house finch

House Sparrow! ;-)

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes! Thanks Resin, I was getting very sleepy last night!! My appologies to all the wonderful House Finches! That's like mistaking a street person for Donald Trump!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

ROFLMBO Shelia......that got me good!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Who is Donald Tramp?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Now that's rich Resin, LOL!!!!

:-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.