Any Indiana Hummer Sited Yet??

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Has anyone sited hummers yet? I have had my feeders out for about 2 weeks now but haven't had any birds yet.

Marlton, NJ

Hi makshi, I haven't noticed any yet but I'm glad I haven't because the weathers still wierd here and we're expecting a NorEaster to come this weekend.
I've had my feeder up for 2 weeks also. I'll put a second one up after this weekend.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

makshi-- I believe one DGer in Greenville, IN, had HBs at her feeder. Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/708342/

And here's the hummingbird migration map http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html for those who want to follow along.

I have my feeders up too, but no luck so far. The local ornithologists say that we won't have HBs here until May 1 or so. But there are some already noted for our region on the Migration Map.

I put up my Oriole feeders and oranges, too. They seem to come a bit earlier than the HBs.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well, I guess this weather has they behind. We have most always seen them about the 15th of April. What do orioles eat.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Orioles are insectivores, they eat a lot of caterpillars. They will eat fruit and nectar too. And they have been known to use Hummingbird feeders.

makshi, here's an old DG thread that makes quite a discussion of oriole foods.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468489/

Some gourmet items for them include meal worms, grape jelly and orange slices.

And for some reason they are really attracted to the color orange so I always put out some orange ribbon or flowers by their feeders in early spring.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Was wondering the same thing. I have not had any here in Putnam County yet. We live in a somewhat rural area and expect too in the next week or so.

Saw our first hummer at the feeder yesterday!!

Marlton, NJ

Thats great nanny!!! I'm still waiting to see mine but theres only been a couple of sightings in NJ. Nothing blooming here either but once things do then I should have quite a few. Keep us posted and try to get a pic if you can.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks pelletory for the dangerous hummer feeder info. I am still waiting for my first hummer to arrive. Soon I hope!

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Put my feeders out abt a wk. Havent seen any. I think its really early but I was going by the hummer map.
Anyone know how long the syrup will be good? We are having some warm weather now.

Marlton, NJ

I've been changing mine every 3 days.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

First hummer sighted!!!! I am sooo excited! I was out back having my muffin and there he was! Took a few good drinks as I call them and then off he flew! I am very happy I found this bird forum to share ideas and pics. When my camera is working properly I will post some! Such a beautiful day indeed!

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations Grandmaggie! Nothing like the first sighting. Looking forward to your pics.
Be sure to post your sighting on the Hummingbird Map here.

http://hummingbirds.net/map.html

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you pelletory! Yes I just reported the sighting to the Hummingbird Map link. I am so enjoying this bird forum!

I have a red honeysuckle in bloom and no hummers yet. I'll know when they arrive because they swarm it in the summer along with my japanese honeysuckle. I will keep you posted

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I am still waiting for the little beauties.

My coral honeysuckle isn't anywhere close to blooming. Did you have yours in the green house?

I'm still watching and hoping. Must remember to go get some red tubular flowers at HD today. Have 4 feeders out.

One of my hot pink azaleas is blooming today (the other two bit the dust in the late fridid cold snap this spring.) I heard the HBs like azaleas so I am optimistic. Also my buckeye and lilac started blooming so it should be anytime.

Marlton, NJ

Nothing is blooming in my yard either but they were here last year so I guess they remembered the feeders.

My honeysuckle is in a sheltered spot so maybe that's why it's blooming. I was in the southern part of indiana today and didn't see any hummers there yet either.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

They have always been here by now. Guess the cold has made them late.

Here is where they like to hang out at my house. I took this in the afternoon today apr 27th. I haven't seen any here yet but they will be here as soon as the weather is nice again.

Thumbnail by
Marlton, NJ

Very nice. What type of honeysuckle is that?

I'm not sure here is a closer picture of it. It was a gift from a fellow gardener but I didn't ask the name of it I just wanted some:)

Thumbnail by
Marlton, NJ

Very pretty!

Happy to report my coral honeysuckle is blooming today and our first hummer arrived.

Our honeysuckle looks like the same kind as yours, fburg, 'Lonicera sempervirens'

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I spotted my 1st hummer at feeder Sun Morn. Im in c Pa.

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations!

I usually start to see the hummingbirds around the 2nd week of may.It wont be long until they are swarming the place!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I am in Greenwood Indiana and just saw my first hummingbird of the year! 3 days later than last year.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Patty they are heading this way. I want my hummer back so you better shoo it my way. Please at least one.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I'll see what I can do, but it seems pretty content feeding at my feeders! :-) I know it won't be long until the dozens we usually have come back, so keep an eye out. They're on their way!

I saw a ruby throated hummingbird today visiting one of my friend's feeder. I was glad to see my first one of the year, now I just am waiting for them to show up at my place! I don't have any feeders, maybe that's why they haven't been here yet. I have tons of red honeysuckle blooming though and have not seen one yet. Won't be long.

We have 3 males so far that are coming everyday. We had a female one evening last week, but haven't seen her since.

Well, about 7:30 this evening our little female hummer showed up again!

This message was edited May 7, 2007 7:49 PM

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

I haven't put out my feeders yet, Thhe hummers come to mt garden when the bleedigheart blooms. I am getting one of the flying saucer type feeders when thet come in again. I hear they are flying off the store shelves so they must be good.I see they have the same type for orioles. I just might invest in one. I haven't had and luck with oranges .I see them when the app[e blossoms are out but then they move on.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Bummer I still haven't had any.

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

I actually had two females at the feeder last night. And, I know I've seen one male. Maybe we'll have babies this year? Hopefully?

I saw my first hummingbird at my house last night while surveying the area. I was checking my wisteria vines by which my red honeysuckle is planted and I heard that familiar chirp and buzz of the hummingbird. I saw it zoom over my head and visit the honeysuckle before zooming off intho the trees.I think it was a female, it was green with blue highlights and no red throat. Im so glad they are back, now I will be seeing them all the time. I can always bet on about the second week in may they come around. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to get a picture, if I do I will post.

Marlton, NJ

Saw another male briefly so thats 2 or 3 scouts for me.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Guess What I had my first hummer this evening. I am doing the snoopy dance. I am so happy and had to make fresh nector.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.