introducing myself

Laytonsville, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, all. I've been lurking in this forum for the past couple of days and thought I'd say hi. I'm in a Maryland suburb of DC, but in a semi-rural area. If I have a style of gardening, cottage gardening would come the closest, I think. I like informal and natural with plenty of flowers. I let things self-sow (within reason).

I have a garden blog I started Spring of '06: http://marylandcountrygarden.typepad.com

Julia

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Greetings! I come in and out, but seeing as I saw your post first, well....

And I believe this is a Maypop, but have not identified a Blue one yet?

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Welcome. I love the photos!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Welcome, Maypop! Don't be shy! I've seen pictures of blue passifloras (maypops) but I have no idea where. Maybe in the plant files? I love your pictures!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yep - here it is:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1264/index.html

Well, but aren't maypops mostly blue of one shade or another? I think I put the "Blue" in front of "maypop" because plain maypop was taken as a username.

Here's one I had on my deck in a pot a couple of years ago ('Incense'):

Thumbnail by BlueMaypop
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi BlueMaypop,

We're practically neighbors; I'm in College Park. Love your blog - your photos are gorgeous. How have you attracted the chickadees? I'm jealous. Have you seen the famous "Mr. T" threads?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/548658/

This message was edited Apr 12, 2007 6:17 PM

You know, I never had chickadees until this year and I was always envious of people who had them! But this year, for some reason I can't fathom, they hung around all winter and are still here. I've heard they are one bird that people can teach to eat our of their hands pretty easily but I haven't tried it yet.

I'll look at those links, thanks.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

We had lots of them in NYS, where I grew up. I didn't see any this year, but one or two the year before. I've been trying to attract them. Did you happen to notice if there was anything in particular that they were attracted to?

I cannot look at a photo of a Titmouse and not start laughing, thanks to that original Mr. T thread...

I read the first "Mr. T" thread. Very strange about that titmouse. I can't get the other link to open--did they figure-out why that bird was pecking at her house? Maybe he wanted to be a house pet?

Oh, and thanks about the photos.

Julia

We're crossposting :)

The only thing I can think of (about having chickadees) is that maybe our evergreens (hollies, white pines, etc) got dense enough that they were attracted to that. I've read that chickadees like pine forests.

I guess I'll never think of titmouses in the same way again :)

Such cute l'il things:

Thumbnail by BlueMaypop

Wrightie: I just read that other Mr. T thread. Hilarious! Thanks for the links.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi BlueMayPop! Welcome to the forum!

Your pictures are wonderfdul -- the subject matter, natch, the the quality of the photos in outstanding!! Do you have some sort of special camera? What kind?????

I am going on vacation tomorrow and might not have a chance to go through all the photos right away, but thanks for the link and I'll pick up where I left off..

Suzy

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Mr. T reappeared a month or two ago: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/695711/

Hi, Illoquin.

Thanks. All of the bird photos were taken with my second-hand Panasonic Lumix DMX 4 megapixel 12x zoom. It's a nice all-around digital camera. I have a little stick-on window feeder on the bay window in my living room and a redbud tree right outside the window. I took down some of the screens and cleaned the windows and shoot through the window. It's been lots of fun.

I do have Photoshop CS which is very good for tweaking the focus, contrast, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.