Seed pods, now what?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic of seed pods on what I think is h. Faro. Hopefully you can notice one pod is all yellow, and one is still green. Yesterday I opened one of those pods and the contents looked like green pepper seeds, a whole lot of them. I threw them in the ground. These pepper-like seeds do not look anything like the ones 9kittymom so kindly shared w/ many of us.

what should I do next? if anything? thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by vossner
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

They're not ripe yet! When they are ready, the pod skin will start to shrivel and then split into three from the top down. It is a good idea to enclose the pod with a piece of pantyhose or thin gauze held on at the base with string or a rubber band once the pod is about an inch and a half or so wide, otherwise the seeds will get away!

Ripe, viable Hippeastrum seeds (with a couple of odd exceptions) are flat, black, and shaped a bit like a capital D. Good seeds have a noticeable thickening in the centre. They should be planted as soon as you harvest them provided you can keep them warm enough to germinate, fresh seed is always the best.

Also, not all blooms will set seed on their own, hence the frequent habit of "pollen dabbing" pursued by most of us here on this forum. An inadequately pollenated flower will produce mostly sterile "chaff" the components of which are much smaller than true seed which can be nearly big enough to cover a thumbnail.

When I joined this forum, I went back and read all the posts from the beginning, and there was a lot of discussion about raising plants from seed, perhaps some one could post some hyper links for you to follow, Best of luck, Jacq.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2007 8:47 AM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

thanks, Jacq. for the good info

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.