are irises poisonous

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I accidentally got an iris in my chicken stew pot. It was only there for less than a minute and it wasn't even hot yet. Is it contaminated?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

What part did you get in your stew? It's the rhizomes that are poisonous.

Edited to add that some say that the leaves are also poisonous, but not all references say that.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2007 8:36 PM

It was just one opened iris and one bud not opened and the stalk.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here's a site that lists poisonous plants and the poisoning symptoms. http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cumberland/hotline/gardenincumb/gardennote21.html

It doesn't sound like it would kill you, but might upset the stomach.

thanks Joan. I think I'll pour out the stock, wash the chicken again and start over.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

OK, I've held back but I have to know....how did iris get in the stewpot??????

weeellll. I had this iris in a vase next to the stove. It had wilted already, but I hadn't thrown it away yet. I had picked something up that was next to the vase and when I did my arm touched the iris and it stuck. I turned and my arm went over the stew pot and the iris dropped in. I did cook the chicken, but I've been so busy with planting and getting ready for an RU that I haven't had time to make the tortilla soup, so it's still in the frig.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How do you know when you're a true gardener?

When your iris falls in the chicken stewpot.

I just loved this story.

Louisville, KY

Iris rzs are ground up and used in making gin, perfume and herbal medicines. See wikipedia under orris root.

Polly, lol. I'm glad I made you laugh. It does sound pretty rediculous. I still have irises in the kitchen, but not anywhere near the stove. I'll tell DH that I now have proof that I am a true gardener. He teases me about being part armadillo because I'm always digging in the dirt.

I read several websites about poisonous flowers and plants, and they conflicted with each other, so I didn't want to take any chances.

Grand Junction, CO

I had asparagus and iris that spread toward each other. Once when I cooked asparagus, I noticed an odd looking stalk. I tasted it, and it was good, but I am certain it was an Iris, not an asparagus. I did not get sick! I was wondering if anyone knew if iris stalks were/are ever cooked for human consumption?

Hmmm. Very interesting, but I have no idea. I found conflicting info on those links in this thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.