Best way to spread compost over lawn?

Naperville, IL(Zone 5a)

We would like spread compost over our lawn this spring. I've read on the web that it can be put in a drop spreader, but when we tried it, the compost was much too dense to go through it. We used bagged compost. Does anyone else spread a layer of compost over their lawn and how do you do it? We have quite a bit of lawn to deal with, so I'd like to avoid putting it down with a shovel and raking it in. Thanks!

Bloomingdale, IL(Zone 5a)

I put some on my lawn; I dumped the bags on the lawn in various spots, ripped them open and spread it out using the topside of a garden rake. I also wanted to add some grass seed, so I did. I suppose you could order the "finer" compost from a nursery (more like a mushroom compost) and it would be easier to spread. There are some small lumps here and there on the lawn which I tried to break up - some folks may not like the looks of it, even if it is temporary.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I spread mine out on the lawn and then go over it with the lawn mower (mulcher) and behind the mower is a airiator to punch holes into the lawn to drive the compost into the soil.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Tweezers. I always go with tweezers.

We sift the compost first into a sifter box that sits over the wheelbarrow, then shovel it into the seeder thing you walk behind. This is a pretty rare occurrence.

Okay, Sofer, that does not surprise me at all, your three-step compost program. Nothing if not thorough!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes and my whole lawn was done in about 1 hour. I have a 'Dixie Chopper' lawn mower this year and it goes over 10mph. Now how not to tear up the lawn with the zero turn. Divits are constantly being made. Even more than when I golf.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.