Don't EVER anger a gardener!

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

Sorting through my seed envelopes last night, I realized that I have the makings of a "Revenge Seed Packet" -- Chinese Lantern seeds, Trumpet Vine seeds and dandelion seeds.

An angry gardener could get revenge on someone simply by scattering those seeds around neglected areas of that person's home. Within months, there would be lush growth. Within years, if unchecked, NEW ENGLAND KUDZU.

I'd never do that, of course. Every year, sumac and I fight to see who gets more garden space. Sumac is a pretty plant, just a little too enthusiastic.

Do you have any "Revenge Seeds?"

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Bronze fennel!

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Anise. Don't ever let it go to seed unless you want thousands of plants sprouting up everywhere the next year.

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

I'm so glad you posted this Weather, as this very thought has crossed my mind countless times, LOL!!

I nominate Victor's (i.e., victorgardener) nemesis, Star of Yelta MG. ;-)

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha you guys are just a barrel of laughs...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I few a few more devious seeds to add: amaranthus,nicotiana and wild carrot(queen anne's lace) Guaranteed 110% germination.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

al, send me the QAL. I have to fight with my son and hubby not to mow it. i pick it and put it in bouquets. I love the dried flower heads too. Sigh. one man's weed...
Martha

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

You can sneak over and attack my yard with Star of Yelta, too! I love all the MGs.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

OK Martha, but I can't guarantee the weeds seeds will be free of nonweeds ;)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

lol! I have plenty of both, I wouldn't even notice!
Martha

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, MG's and also Chasmanthium latifolium.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

Silver Maple 'copters'.....

They'll germinate in anything (or nothing at all). I pull at least a dozen 1-2 foot tall seedlings a couple times a year from the gutters! (why can't my cultivated plants have such vigor?!?!)

That's just about my only weed, in my whole yard! When I moved here we had tons of purslane (great in salads) and lambquarters (also good in salads, my wife likes it in omlets). As of last year I'm planting both in my beds as I don't get any more volunteers. I don't let it set seed, but bindweed (a MG relative) and creeping charlie are also invaders (they come under the fences) .....

~Chills (anyone need silver maple copters, let me know...I can almost promise the cold didn't affect them!)

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Ah, yes, the all-too-prolific maple helicopters...we too have these, although ours are from the highly noxious and invasive Norway Maple. I pulled over a hundred new seedlings between yesterday and today. I wouldn't mind a forest growing in other folks' yards as long as it doesn't block our sunlight.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

got the maples, too one in my yard and then neighbors have several along the fence. the trees seem to be a favorite of the winter moth larvae and I am hoping that a couple of year of stripping the tree with kill it.
Martha

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

If you really hate your neighbors, just plant some English Ivy around your property's perimeter then marvel as it destroys everything in its path. An old English Ivy field out back ultimately resulted in costing me an arm and a few legs in damage and removal fees.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Cabbage Patch Kid seeds

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Gee . . . when I was in high school, there was a particularly odious vice-principal. Everyone knew he was particularly vain about his landscaping. The popular rumour was you could destroy his choice trees by breaking a thermos or a thermometer and planted it at the base. Apparently in the 1970s both contained mercury. Never tried it - but was very tempted. the guy really was a jerk.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2007 9:17 AM

Japanese Maples - the pretty red ones - I pull up hundreds of sprouts every spring and then pull up the seedings that I miss all year long.

Northeast Harbor, ME

Marigolds, petunias, and celosia oughta scare 'em. They do it to me anyway ;- )

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

creeping charlie. I dunno if they make seeds, but the darn plant is taking over my yard!!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

we had a red maple at home when I was growing up. My grandmom had planted it. We just mowed the seedlings down in the grass. I found it hard to keep them alive if I dug them up and potted them to transplant. They grew so slowly that they never made it. I kept trying every year though.
Martha

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Johnny jumpups. I love 'em. but I've caught my landscaper twice now trying to spray them. last winter they bloomed right thru the snow. I don't see any this year so maybe he succeeded. I hope not. they were even changing color. and they're so easy to pull if you don't want them.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have had blue eyed grass {Sisyrinchium} come up in the lawn somehow. I think it was a bird gift. I found it blooming away in a small clump about 10" or so around and I put logs from our woodpile around it to make a mowing fence. my hubby loved that! They stayed in lawn for about 4-5 years and then they disappeared. I enjoyed them while I had them and got some from the plant store and put in a flower bed. these are still here both the blue and the brown ones.
Martha

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I'd have to say the Maples-find them every year sprouting in my flower beds! Although I have kept a couple as the location they picked will actually make for nice shade trees several years from now! Guess it depends on location and the wants of the gardener to determine if something is invasive!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jan - I've had stuff I've wanted to spray in lawns that's for sure. I had this lady once that transplanted buckthorns from their woodline into the yard because she liked them.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree with the chinese lanterns. Two summers ago I thought they were neat, wondered where they came from. Last year, I chopped down every one that came up.
I also have MG Star of Yelta on my fence, don't know where it came from either. I don't mind it because I love the color. Maybe I should throw some seeds all along the fence to keep my bratty 6 yr old neighbor off my fence!! :(

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Stinging nettle would keep the 6 yr old away!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

We keep a lion for that purpose.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Rose of Sharon - I have milliions!!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you know I went to great lengths to buy Rose of Sharon - Blue Satin and Violet Satin last year and thought they were very rare plants because the local nursery sells them for $27.00 each.

I have three blue satin (little guys) growing against the west brick foundation (before I thought of roses) and two violet satin ones in the front east garden - plus five babies that came with the violet satin plants.

Now I know . . . I suppose in a few years I will be pulling out seedlings. :-)

Beth - Kassia is looking for stinging nettle seeds!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Dave, Can I borrow your Lion?!
:)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave - does the lion harrass squirrels while leaving the gardens intact?

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

LOL! And how about WoodChucks?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Neigbors, squirrels and woodchucks are vanquished. Unfortunately I haven't seen my wife in days.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Are stinging nettle easy to grow from seed? Anything is worth a try, not that I have anything against 6 yr olds, just don't like them climbing the fence!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Al, my jumpups weren't in the lawn, they were growing in the stones around my pool. I've never had one come up in the lawn. and I defend my right to keep them if I want :-P

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Raggedyann,

According to Heirloom Roses:

`Robusta' would make a nice addition to any garden even if it didn't bloom which it does in profusion. Rated as the number 1 rose in America by the A.R.S. Eye-catching, single, red blooms in clusters produced in abundance on a vigorous, upright bush with beautiful, medium-green, glossy, leathery foliage. The thick canes are covered with nail-like prickles. For specimen planting, fence, hedge or impenetrable barrier. Continual bloom.

I think "nail-like prickels" would prevent a six-year old (and anyone else) from attempting to pass through an impenetrable barrier.

Plus you get continuous bloom. :-)

The picture is from Heirloom Roses

Thumbnail by Seandor
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

lol my mom relied on large barberry hedges to keep the unwanted folks out. Those prickles did a great job.
Martha
PS. That rose is lovely.
M

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I tell you, if I ever win a lottery and get an estate, I am having a Robusta hedge. Isn't there a fairy tale called "Briar Rose" ? Maybe this is it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.