Lavendula for partial sun/shade

Brooklyn, NY

Okay garden gurus...can you grow lavendula in zone 5 in a partial shade environment? Which cultivar(s)? And, if it isn't too much to ask, can you grow it in containers under those conditions? Cheryl

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

you can grow it in partial shade but the plant will not produce the blooms (work for you) the way it was intended to. It may get floppy too because lavender needs full sun, especially in the short growing season that we have in zone 5.
Lavender also like sharp,well drained soil. As far as growing in a container you can, but there again you might suffer blooms because of being in a shady area. Lavenders to grow in zone 5 would be : L.angustifolia, Hidcote, Jean Davis, Loddon Pink, Munstead, Nana Alba and Twicked Purple.
Hope this is of some help Sandy

Brooklyn, NY

Well you just saved me alot of money. I keep trying and thought the timing of planting was the reason it hasn't bloomed. I was trying to control the moisture (ie reduce it) by putting it in a container (I could move the container under shelter during periods of intense rain so it doesn't get overwatered but if 3 hours of sun a day won't do it...I will have to put off my love of lavender until we live somewhere less shady. Thanks very much. Cheryl

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

Your welcome Cheryl. In our zone 5 Lavendula needs at least 6-8 hours of full sun to produce good strong blooms. Have you thought of possibly growing lavender under lights? You would at least get some satisfaction with growing the plant.

Brooklyn, NY

Actually I hadn't. I don't have any experience with growing under lights and what such a setup would entail in terms of space and logistics. The rooms in our apt are small but I will check that out as a possibility. Cheryl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.