Ferns ==> best time to transplant them?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

A friend of mine would like some of my ferns... but i have never really found the best time to move them. I'm hoping this time of the year, as i just called her to tell her they are starting to awaken.

I've had terrible luck in the summer-ish months (gave some to my sis once and they all died) and when we moved here in end of sept - early oct... then seemed to do fine,and they are multiplying..... so, Spring of Fall, when is best?

TIA,

Terese

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi tcs1366 - Right now would be the best time - as they are sending up shoots, but are not unfurled. Unfortunately, with this SNOW and undependable temps,
I would wait until we have consistent temps of at least 50 - 60 degrees during the day. My ferns have all given up the ghost - hoping they will rejuvenate in the next few weeks. What have you got going on for weather over there today? Dax

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

snow -- we lost power this morning for a lil over 2 hrs (DG withdrawls)
and i think it should stop by tomorrow late morning -- from what they are guessing.
we are only expecting 1-3"... but we'll see. it did get "heavy" for a while, and i think on grass we have about 2"

next week will be mid- 50's with nights in the 40's.

so maybe next week.

Thanks,

Terese

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with dax. Transplant when the temps. are around the 50's and stay that way.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

tcs,
I have transplanted ferns from spring through mid-October. I was told years ago to take as much soil with them as possible.
Shady

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

shady -- thanks for the tip.

I left a mssg on my friends machine to bring a big box/bucket with a lot of soil

i'll get as much soil with the roots as i can... i'm sure that was the problem when i gave them to my sister.

terese

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

The other thing I keep in mind is that ferns grow on the edge of woods so they like rich woodsy type soil (compost/ leaf mold)
Good Luck & keep them watered during dry spells for the first season.

Shady

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I've had good luck moving ferns in early spring, and I add a handfull of humus to the hole when I transplant. My grandmother told me to do it, and it's always worked well. So far I've moved many and only lost a couple.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks for all the tips.... hopefully she'll be by this week to dig some up.... i'm hoping she'll take some "ditch" lilies too.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

well, my friend never came by... so now they are just taking over the bed.... covering the new plants (hostas, astilbes)

sooo, now my thought is.... in the fall.... can i just dig'em up and just put them in peat moss or something? just in case she can't get them in the ground until next spring?

they will be just about impossible to dig them now... so i was actually going to cut back the foliage where my new plants are -- then dig them up once the season is over.

any thoughts?

Madison, WI

I had some of the plants I did not have a chance to put in the ground last fall successfully overwinter in pots buried in mulch. I did that after reading some where on the compost forum that buring pots in compost works for wintering over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.