The baby owls are getting big !

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I finally got around to getting some pictures this morning...boy, have they grown ! And there are three !

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Marlton, NJ

OMG, Their Adorable!!!! Thanks better!!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

One more. They seem to be amused at people standing around looking at them.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Last one for today.. That big one looks like he will be a hunter for sure ! I'll keep up on this better now, they will be moving around the tree soon and then will leave.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Melbourne, FL

Adorable. How do the parents react when people get near the chicks?

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Nice pictures, but I do not agree with Pelletory. I think they are interesting, but ugly at this stage. I've also wondered how the parents responded. A Hawk Owl drew my blood, one time when I was trying to photograph its chicks.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, it's one of those things..so ugly they're cute ! The parents don't seem to mind, they are in nearby trees. I zoom in so I'm actually about 15 feet from the tree. Any closed and I might have to watch out for Mom. Wow, it drew blood...how close were you ?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They're probably used to seeing you by now! If someone else came along, or if you tried to climb the tree, they might attack.

Quoting:
A Hawk Owl drew my blood, one time when I was trying to photograph its chicks.

The famous bird photographer Eric Hosking (1909-1991) lost an eye in an attack by a Tawny Owl while he was photographing its chicks (in about 1930).

Someone else I know , I was helping him ring (band) a couple of Tawny Owl chicks . . . knowing of the Eric Hosking incident, I told him to put on a pair of safety goggles and a padded hat when he went up to the nest. Sure enough, he was attacked too, and would likely have been blinded in one or both eyes, if he hadn't been wearing them.

Ural Owls are reported to be even more dangerous - the advice with them is not to approach the nest at all. One field guide states "Caution: Very aggressive and can attack intruder fiercely; keep your eyes fixed on the parents if you stumble on a nest, and leave area quickly!"

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Yes its true so ugly they're cute. I love seeing them change with time.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Ugly? Yes. But cute and adorably precious at the same time. It must be cool watching them grow.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Such a neat thing to see! Thanks for sharing them.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

So adorable. The parents are probably happy that you are entertaining the kids (at a safe distance)!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

That was funny garden mermaid...you're probably right !

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

What a sight to see. Great pictures.Thanks so much for sharing. and risking life and limb. (I do think they are getting a little better looking now)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

How could anybody call those fantastic babies ugly???!!! They're adorable and it is such a treat to see them 'grow up.'

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for these wonderful pictures. I had never seen such small baby owls before. How cute!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

This one looked so sweet today..almost wanted to cuddle him, or her !

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Mom was sitting in a nearby tree snoozing away !

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

For some reason I keep forgeting the pics today...here's mom.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

A great series!

Wow!!! (And we all understand how tired a mom can get!)

Good think "Auntie betterbloom" is on hand to mind the kids so mom can nap!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I hink mom knows me by now. I stand under the tree and talk to the babies and they just look at me like they know what I'm saying. Auntie Betterbloom...lol !

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

That last baby picture is just so sweet!

Marlton, NJ

Very sweet!

How are the kids doing betterbloom? They must be hell raisin' teenagers by now!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I think my kids ran away from home. I haven't seen them the last couple of days but will look again tomorrow. They usually hop around in the tree for awhile before taking off but I couldn't find them any place. I think this is Dad owl that I found in a nearby tree.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Oooh, how handsome he is. Thanks for all the photos.
It was a pleasure to see them.

Kids just grow up too fast these days.

They're probably too busy with their flying and hunting lessons to spend much time at home anymore.

Great photo of dad. And he's awake too! Thank you for all the beautiful family photos.

they are fantastic! I would love to have nesting owls in my yard. I put up an owl box last year, but no luck. This year I believe it was taken by a flicker. Still cool, but not an owl. I love the photos and I vote for these chicks having the biggest beaks of any babies I've ever seen!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, kinda bad news today. I found one of the babies walking around the park today, couldn't seem to fly. Animal Control came out to get it and take it to a wildlife center. I was afraid it would get harmed by coyotes if it couldn't fly up in a tree or fly away. When the two guys got here they said " we thought we were coming out to get a baby"...had to laugh and tell them..it is a baby ! I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure it is doing okay.

Thumbnail by betterbloom

Is that a photo of one of the kids sitting next to the trunk?
Good thing you thought to call Animal Control. I probably would have taken the ladder to the park and tried to put him back up on a branch in the tree. Not sure his folks would have liked that idea.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Me and my neighbors thought about that..actually did it last year, twice, but they were a lot smaller. We really didn't know what to do with it being so big and knowing the others have already left the nest. Yes, that is one of the babies.
I saw it walking across the lawn from about 200 yards away, and thought it was a duck. When I walked over there, here he was. He hid under a tree and stayed there for a long time. I didn't get too good a pics with him hiding under the tree and I wasn't going to get too close. Here's a bad picture, but you can see how big his talons are already.

Thumbnail by betterbloom

Oh, my! Very wise decision to call Animal Control - sure hope the "little guy" is okay!!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I, seriously disagree with interfering and calling animal control. The baby owl being on the ground was a normal part of fledgling. You should have left it alone. At animal control it will be deprive of the parents assistance in learning to forage for itself! Humans should not interfere with young birds or animals. They are far better off letting nature take its own course.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Had to debate over calling them or not...it was not an easy decision and not entirely up to me. If if was my back yard I wouldn't have large dogs and coyotes running around, or kids to bother it. Sorry, Grasmussen, I live in a county park and like I said not entirely up to me.

If the parents had been around, would they not have let their presence be known? I would have thought that if the owlet were being watched by the parents they would have protested any involvement with it. I do hope the little guy will be okay.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I called animal control today. The baby has been taken to a wildlife refuge where they will keep it until they feel it can survive on it's own and then will be released. I still don't know if we did or didn't do the right, it was a hard call. I know we were concerned over it being left there overnight.

betterbloom, it is that particular owl's karma to experience the animal control/wildlife rescue path. Otherwise, you would not have seen it on the ground. You did what you thought was best. If you find yourself in the same situation again, you can consider other choices at that time. Your heart was in the right place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.