Growing Cucumbers

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Dave came up with a great suggestion about a friend that grew their cucumbers in a hanging pot. How does everyone else grow them in the hopes that they won't take up a lot of space?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Jack's cucumber trellis.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I just ordered three of those Topsy Turvy hanging things. Will try tomatoes and other veggies.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I've used the foldable fence-like things that are usually for peas & string beans.

http://topsyturvys.com/10001.html

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

When they sell them in Australia, are they right-side-up?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

cool - I've seen that. Thanks!

Dave's in a rare mood again!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

what do you mean again....I thought it was a permanent disposition

Maybe he should let his daughter have the computer for awhile.

Dave - yes, but since the seasons are opposite, it cancels out.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

pirl, thanks for posting that picture of Jacks trellis, showed DH and he was struck with a notion. "I can can do that!" Good, now he has a project that will keep him out of my hair for a few hours and I'll be a happy camper when the cukes come up!!

We grow peas and beans the same way. Still those cucumbers do have a way of spreading but not as bad as pumpkins or watermelon.

So do zucchini and butternut squash!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I also picked up two topsy-turvy planters this year... going to try tomatoes & cucumbers.... figured they are safer up there away from the groundhogs... but now they might be deer height

:)

will soon see
Allison

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm experimenting with the square foot gardening method this year and will be training the vines up a trellis.

Agreed, Victor.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Allison: funny! And you got me thinking, I don't think deer have ever eaten my cuke or tomato fruits. Has anyone ever had that happen?
Dave

Not me.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

when I had a large 'in-ground' veggie garden, I always grew my cukes on a trellis. this year I am going to try a bush cuke in a self watering container.

How do you handle self-watering containers when heavy summer rains come along?

They just overflow.

Victor! Be serious! Isn't flooding bad for cukes?

It shouldn't flood - most of these have a screen separating the roots and soil from the water so rain should not bother anything, as excess will pour out.

OK. Now I feel better.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

what Victor said

What did I say?

Probably something about cheap women.

No! That was the other thread.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Victor, one of the wonderful things about these online forums is that you can just scroll up to find out what you said if can't remember ... isn't that nice?

Actually I was joking. What I should have said though was, "Did I say something of worth?"

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

No! LOL

You did it! You stooped to using those letters.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

It was intentional to annoy you, so it doesn't count.

Okay, you get a pass.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

He's just saying that Victor! He idolizes Al and tried to mimic!

Arlene - the trellis that your husband made..he used piping? I need to take a trip to Home Depot and get some inexpensive but sturdy ideas.

Yes, Anita - copper piping.

If you google, there are websites with step by step instructions for making trellis, arbors, etc., with regular plumbing copper materials.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

It looks like a no brainer - I'd need 3 lengths and two, I think the term is, L joints? Now, I'm not a soldering type of person, even though my friend's husband gave me a lesson - so I'd probably use some type of adhesive. I'm guessing if I got two lengths of rebar, I could hammer them in and then fit the piping right over. Sound good?

We've never used rebar to make frames so I wouldn't know.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

not to make the frame, but as a support - isn't the copper piping too soft to bang into the ground? If not, then I'll skip the rebar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.