'Emerald': Foliage

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Ahhhhh.....the "off-season" delights of foliage.

Thumbnail by raydio
Hahira, GA

raydio--i have a chance to get several emerald bulbs--is it a good grower and do you have some photos you can post? thanks,floyd

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Looks nice and healthy and has an offshoot.

I may have posted some, but don't remember specifically where.....

Here are some in Dave's PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/87303/index.html

R.

Thumbnail by raydio
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I thought for a moment that was my hipp cross, it must be Emerald! Even the background is similar!

Hmmm......wallaby1......

And I forgot to answer your question:

I have found that the "cybister hybrids", including Emerald, can be a challenge to start. They can suffer root rot if the usual culture for large-flowered "dutch hybrids" is used.

Emerald was easier than Chico to start, but care must be taken not to overwater. Patience and trust is needed.

This is my second season with this bulb and it flowered, with the foliage and root growth starting up right after flowering had finished. So until the scape has withered, watering must be *very* judiciously applied, if at all, to a point.

R.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Mine rooted straight away, I only water when it looks quite dry then sparingly, and it's in my free draining compost.

raydio, the first stem of flowers I forgot to try pollinating. On the second stem there was 4 flowers, I dabbed pollen from 3 of them on each other, the last one was later and I didn't bother. Now those 3 are swelling, the one is just turning yellow!

Emerald???? I'd say yes!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

That's what I'd call it! It comes from the same cross anywho.

All my attempted crosses failed. :-((

I had one pod with fully formed but empty seeds in it. There were only two seeds that might possibly have something in them.

Better luck with yours!!!

R.

R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.