Coleus Chatters April 9th thru April 22nd

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone! I'm hoping that our cold spell will be over soon and spring will have 'finally' sprung!!! I'm itching to get dirt under my nails and have some fun in the garden. I'm so ready to have coleus everywhere and I know everyone else is too!

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/705878/#new

Thumbnail by Brinda
Stockholm, Sweden

It was snowing in Stockholm today......I had to blindfold all my coleus plants so they wouldn't know..... they are sooo waiting to go outdoors. Well, two more months, and then.....
;-))
Alice

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hey Brinda, Chris posted some pictures over here. Just browse up.
Pati
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/532673/#new

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thank you Pati....I've been over there drooling!!!!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Brinda,Let me explain............(you'll read it soon enough)LOLOLOLOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Uhoh Pheadra! What are you up to? LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Spent the weekend with the family.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Dale, the resemblance is remarkable, I can't believe they all stood still for the photo shoot.
I have no report of a catalogue either, but will call Mr or Mrs Baker tomorrow.
Sidney

Stockholm, Sweden

Dale!
This artwork is hilarious! Fantastic! Can you do the same thing with...eh...let's see....eh....coleus?
Alice

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus-no, pumpkins yes. Me and the Missus.

Stockholm, Sweden

Amazing!
This is unbelievably good!!!!! Wonderful, hilarious fun! You're a highly talented artist, for sure.

Why can't you try to do some funny coleus also, pleeeeeeaaaase?

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hello everyone!

have been lurking a little here and there, but my son is keeping me busy these days, now that he's a crawler and starting to be a cruiser... he gets into touble if i leave him anywhere alone for more than two minutes LOL.

i'm going back to work (paid work, that is LOL) full time starting tomorrow, so i won't be on DG as much as i usually am. a long commute back and forth from home to my parents' house to work will have me in the car for about 3 hours a day UGGGH! but i'm glad my son will be getting great care and grandma and grandpa time.

poor baby, i had to sneak out of their house tonight to leave him for the night as I have to work early tomorrow. he doesn't do too well seeing me leave the house... or even the room! i miss him already... as much as he can drive me crazy, i miss him when he even takes too long of a nap. in eight months i have only been away from him for one night, so this will be a big adjustment. we'll see how things work out. i cried a little on the way home tonight. sounds crazy, but then again, i'm crazy about my baby.

you guys (and gals) make me laugh. and smile;)

waiting out the crazy cold spring in the meantime...

joy

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Good Luck on the back to work thing Joy.

I started at the golf course Tuesday. 12 seasons and nothing ever changes. Everything was so disorganized and grabastic. They took all our regular carts away over the winter. So they gave me this relic from the barn to tow my trailer. No brakes. Wouldn't start and stay running. The general manager (who is an A** anyway) has some agenda that no one understands. Trees half planted here and there. All kinds of mayhem. Would have taken 4 men and a boy a summer to set it straight. But all they have is me. Or shall I say "had". I quit. Worked the most brutal 8 hours ever, but I left the place better than I found it and I'm not sorry to leave. I only stayed as long as I did because the members became friends and I tried to look out for them.

I came home, took a hot shower, had three doubles and went to bed. Things don't seem so bad this morning. Just glad to be in business for myself. At least I can do the job right instead of half baked from now on. Sorry guys. Didn't mean to go off on a tangent here. You all are the only ones I have to talk to though.

Have a lovely and productive day everyone. I'm going to. :0)

Juanita

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good for you Juanita!!! I do not blame you at all. You work way too hard as it is, and should not have to put up with some idiot that thinks he 'knows it all' and makes your job harder! I'm happy you stuck up for yourself!!! Keep your chin up about all of it....and have a double for me too the next time! LOL

(hmmmm, strange...my font is really small when I'm typing this)

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Brinda, I noticed that too! I thought it was my computer! Tamara

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Feels kinda weird z5g! I think Dave is tweaking a few things on here. For some reason it makes me feel like I'm not typing on the right keys? Is that wierd or what? LOL

Joy, I know I wrote a post about you and your new job! It must have been eaten in cyberspace or maybe I have had a few too many paint fumes! LOL

Congrats to you on going back to work. I know it's difficult to leave your lil angel but at least he is with your parents. That makes things so much better. I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck!!! Just make sure you take time to smell the roses (or coleus) and don't work too hard!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Hi Brinda and all, I am back to mostly lurking status. awaiting the coleus deliveries to start arriving in the local nurseries. Dreaming of the combos to create. Spring has sprung and we are getting a much needed rain today.
My life has been an emotional roller coaster, Dad died two months ago of brain cancer, hardest thing I have ever had to go through, still a weepy mess at times.
Working in the garden and going nursery hopping and garden touring with my Mom is very therapeutic and now I am awaiting a new addition in 6 weeks, another puppy, a Yorkie who will be joining a cat and my 2 yr old tiny toy poodle.
It will be a happier year.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue, I'm sorry lost my dad 10 years ago, lost my mom last January. If you need to talk, you know where I am.

I had just mentioned to hubby yesterday that I wanted to go up to Bakers Acres next week... then got an email from Sidney asking if I'd like to go with her... how cool is that? I smoke, so we'll have to see if that bothers her or not, but either way, I plan on going up next week at some point. :)

Sitting here waiting to see if the UPS man will come back, I have another computer on the way, had to go to the vet this morning, and my daughter wouldn't go to the door!!!!!!!!GRRRRRRRRr

Well, it's days like today that remind me of why I love traveling so much. I took the back road home from work and I must say this area of Ohio is so beautiful. I will take my camera with me tomorrow and take some pictures. I am so ready for the greatness of Spring! I will not be taking the freeway to work anymore. It's not faster.
I already d-mailed Melissa that I can deal with her smoke. I always tell the restraunt or motel that I'll take either smoking, or not.
I will be in Coleus Heaven for sure if Chris is open Sunday afternoon.
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hap, More sunshine, the Swiss kind.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

do-dah do-dah!!! Guess who got their Baker's Acres catalog today? Wheeee! I'm so happy! (Hey Pheadra, did I beat you? LOLOLOL)

I just have to find time to sit for a bit and look at it. My DH has had a whip in his hand all day and I'm exhausted. The bathroom is now completely demolished and the bathtub is out. It looks terrible!!! Yuck, I can't believe what it looks like behind that tub. I pray that things come together like we're hoping. So far...no major catastrophes....please keep your fingers Xed for us. The plumber will be her Friday morning so we have to have the jacuzzi ready to go in it's place by then. All Allan has to do is the electrical work before the plumber gets here. Last week I would have sworn that we would never make it by the 20th, but we may actually get it done. The tile man will be here on Monday evening. After that.....I HAVE TO CLEAN HOUSE! Yuck! I'm a horrible domestic goddess! I'm not a good cleaner, but I want it spotless! LOL Does that make sense?

Sidney & Melissa, I'm so jealous! I would love to go to Baker's Acres! You will have so much fun. I bet Melissa makes this a yearly trip from now on. I flipped through the catalog and things look so great! Chris, you might have to kick them out! LOL Make sure you check their pockets before you let them out!

Hi Sue, it's so nice to see you. I think of you often and I am truly sorry to hear about your father. I hope this year and the following years will be wonderful for you and your family! And don't be a stranger around here....we love you!

Thanks Melissa and Brinda!

Melissa, please post pics of your visit!

You know I will Sue! I am so excited about going up there, he has so many neat Coleus! I haven't told hubby yet, he might be disappointed! LOL He enjoys the coleus too. :)

Ahhh, a man after my own heart! Wish I had one like that, mine does enjoy the finished garden though, under the canopy surrounding by color and fragrance, sipping a glass of wine. :-)

So Melissa, you doing ok, was this loss just this past Jan. or the year before? I can't even imagine the heartache, bad enough loosing my Dad, I'm so close to my Mom. Sucks, this getting older business! I feel super paranoid with every ache and pain hubby & I get now, just a dread feeling something is wrong.

Sue, I still have my days... She passed Jan 5, 06, so it's been a year. We just went through and emptied her house in February of this year, it was that difficult for all of us.

I thought I had never experienced a pain so great as when I lost my dad... he and I were always very very close, still having my mom helped so much with that grief... but when I lost my mom, it felt like my world stopped. I went into depression, and sometimes I wonder if I'm still depressed.

It got to the point that I wasn't sleeping much at all, had no motivation to do anything, and I really still don't remember a whole lot of the first half of 06. I went to my doc, he prescribed some meds for a few months, and they did help, but it's still hard. I still have not been to the cemetery where she is buried... since the day of the funeral. I just can't go. My daughter is graduating from HS next month, and there is nothing my mom liked better than a huge party, and she's not here to comment on the menu or to ask how I make this or that, and she won't be here to enjoy the day, and that's tough.

Yes, I agree Sue, this getting older business is NOT fun. I'm more paranoid about everyone's health now too... hubby's, my siblings, the kids... everyone's.

It's a slow process I guess and different for everyone but I do know that overwhelming feeling. That saying, 'one day at a time' and 'breathe' and thank goodness for gardening and gardening friends!

The very worst part of growing older is losing our parents. I still grieve my DM who left me four years ago. It's really hard to go to a nice dept store as I loved to buy her pretty clothes. I still find myself seeing every pretty pant suit on her.
I can see the designers are catering to us Baby Boomers a bit. Pedal pushers are back in style and they cover all the really old looking parts of this body, my thighs and knees. Can one get a "Knee Lift"?
Sidney

Not Pedal pushers anymore, they are called capris and I am so glad they are in, I gave up shorts years ago!!

Sue, I agree, last year I THREW myself into my plants, I started like 700 tomato plants.... WHAT I thought I was going to do with 700 tomato plants, I don't know! But, it was relaxing messing with them til they all grew up and needed to be planted somewhere! People saw me coming and ran away--quickly.

LMAO Sidney, You're lucky it's just the knees, I need a whole body lift! Well, a shrinkage then a lift.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh....sign me up! I need a shrinkage and a lift too! LOL I've been dwelling on aging the past couple of months. I turned 48 in December and it's all hitting me like a ton of bricks. I have sat here most of the winter in sweats (which is a huge mistake) and even though I haven't gained weight, my body sure doesn't look the same as it did last summer! LOL BTW, tell me why men look better as they age? My DH looks better everyday (and he knows it too LOL) and I just don't understand it.

That's all depressing talk! Let's talk about coleus! LOL

Melissa, what are your most wanted coleus from Baker's Acres? I bet you're getting excited about going on Sunday! You & Sidney will have a blast. She's a crazy one.....so keep her under control! LOL

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh Brinda!! We are the same age. 48 Last October. I think the worst part of it all is the body thing. Impending menopause in my case has added inches to my waist and stomach. I burn at least 5000 calories a day when I am working and still can't stay ahead of it. It's depressing for sure. I'm muscular all over from my work, but this weight thing is relly messing with me. Not being in control I think.

Is it ever going to get warm?? I have a couple thousand coleus that really want to go out now and grow up in the sun. Oh well. I'm going to the yard and get cleaned up out there. Been so busy working for other people that I haven't gotten clear here yet.

Everyone have a great day. Sidney if you find somene to do knee lifts maybe we can get a group discount on liposuction and tummy tucks too. :0)

Cheers for now,
Juanita

Oh man, 48 here too, just in Feb.! And don't even get me starting with the menopausal thing! I have been doing the 'personal summer' flashes off and on for about a year now, at first it was no big deal, weren't very bad only mildly annoying. Had a break from them for several months but in Feb that came back and interrupted my sleep, now I was annoyed! And I was cranky, real stressed, on edge, weepy to the max but that could be attributed to dealing with the real drama at the time. This past week, they are gone again and I am sleeping again and feel more relaxed. Whoo Hoo, man this is fun! NOT.
In Aug hubby and I did ourselves a favor and went on Jenny Craig to loose some of this sneaky weight gain, it's gradual but working, but I'll never have the fit and trim look again, gravity has taken over and I do not like exercise beyond walking and bike riding so I am resolved to look like the grammy like I am!
Ok, yes, enough depressing talk!
So what are the prices from Bakers for the coleus when you go there? Should I get a flight out? :-)

Brinda, I think we are so focused on how bad we think we look that the men just seem like they get better. ;) Ask most 20 year old girls (I did say most) if this 50 year old man beside me is a hottie and they'll go "ewwwwwwww he's old" LOL

I keep trying to convince hubby that white tips on a moustache is NOT attractive and makes him look older. So far he's still got the white tips. LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh yes Sue! Catch a plane out and meet them there. I would, but I'm too chicken to fly! LOL That's my excuse for not being able to vist the MIL in SoCal! hehehe! I was just wondering the same about prices for coleus at Baker's. Does anyone know?

Sue you're welcome anytime, you know that! :)

You know I was just thinking about it.... Richard Gere was on Letterman last week, he is totally white headed, and he is still HOT! LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Melissa, you're probably right! I think I obsess over my appearance so much that it makes DH look better all the time! Geez! Why all of a sudden do I feel old? I remember turning 35 & 40 & 45 and not one age bothered me at all. But now I realize how close I am to 50 and it's driving me nuts. I rarely look in a mirror anymore and when I do, I'm shocked!

I had those stupid hot flashes starting when I was 45 and now they are 'almost' gone. But they are a killer when they happen now!

Exercise? Exercise? Maybe if I say it enough I will remember what it was! LOL I get plenty of exercise when the weather is nice, but this winter has put me in a slump like never before and I hate it. I just can't wait for nice weather so I can get outside and 'do my thing'!

Melissa, we keep posting at the same time! And you're right....Richard Gere is HOT! MmmMmmMmmmmGood!

Sue could drive and swing down and pick you up on the way Brinda!

Although I know Sue does fly! LOL I know this because I have actually met her in real life before!! :)

Richard (middle name Tiffany, whats up with that?!!) may be totally white but have you seen his new upcoming movie? He is dark haired and looks way younger. Hooray for hair color!

No Sue, which one? I just read he's doing Nights in Rodanthe I think for release next year. I read the book, I love Nicholas Sparks--the movie will be great but take tissues! LOL

Yes, hooray for hair color I've not had a problem with going gray, my problem has been goind RED!

I am a red head right now, hardest color to maintain but I love it.

Gere movie is called The Hoax
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462338/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.