Will frozen hydrangeas coming back from roots?

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Due to several nights of freezing weather after highs in 70's and 80's, my blue/pink hydrangea and my 2 French Lace hydrangeas have expired. At this time I don't know if they will come back from the roots or not.

Does anyone know if they will regenerate or not? I am sick about it. Thanks LIZ

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think there's a chance they would come back--they will survive winters in zone 5 so my guess is that you lost the leaves and flowers and maybe some new growth but the roots are still OK. Give them a few weeks, then scratch the bark gently with your fingernail and if it's green underneath then it's still alive (you may lose some of the newer growth, so do this test down lower towards the base). You most likely lost your flowers for this year (unless it's a reblooming variety) and the plants may look a little ratty for a while but hopefully they'll come back.

Arlington, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Neighbor,

The will come back and survive. But the will not bloom this year. We are in Arlington TN and have an incredible selection of Hydrangea serrata. These are Japanese Mountain Hydrangeas but even some of them lost their buds.

We where in shock, especially since we just installed the Hydrangea Garden at the Memphis Botanic Garden but we think on a lot of them the buds may survived in the sheltered city.

Here is what my wife Diane hat to say about this event.

http://www.gardensoyvey.com/info1.html/Newsletter/Black_Sunday.html

Take care
Wolfgang

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

What do we do if our frozen hyds are still alive? Prune? Just clip off the dead leaves? Nothing?

I have 7 in the ground and abt 5 in pots. They sure look bad.

Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's some great info that Loon posted in the perennials forum on what a late freeze does to plants and what to do (or not):
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3384778

Arlington, TN(Zone 7a)

And here is some more good in formation from wilkerson mills

http://www.hydrangea.com/index.php?customernumber=105633547839257&pr=Freeze_Damage&=SID

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Very informative links! Thanks!
Sherry

Liz,

I sent you a D-mail. You may have missed it?

Sasha

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

thanks, I planted an 'Ayesha' a few days ago, right before all the rain & winds, I hope it will make it. Hydrangeas are tough little plants, I have an oakleaf seedling from last year, that I thought was dead, but didn't bother to dig up, that seems to be making a comeback...

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I just wanted to add that my hydrangeas last year looked like they had died down. I left them in the ground and pruned them down all the way to the bottom. This was pre - Dave's Garden and when i didn't have anyone to ask or know ANY better. lol I figured if they grow wonderful if not at least I tried. They have new leaves on them this year and one has a small little mophead! I was so surprised they survived! and like I said, I didn't even take care of them much or coerce them in any way other than pruning them. Probably went a little too far because the branches looked dead...now I know the established branches are supposed to turn brown like sticks. I am just so glad they came back. There were two and the other is not showing any signs of buds, but I will be patient and be nice to them now and feed them and give them everything I can to encourage them for next year! I'm going to go back to the links and see what tips I can find! Good luck with yours!

Becky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.