Can Someone Create a Sticky For A Listing of Garden Tools?

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

A subject dear to disabled gardeners' hearts is tools that make it easier to garden pain-free. A number of threads here mention some recommendations but I haven't yet sighted a thread that gets them all together. Having such a thread as a sticky would be really useful. I promise to contribute reviews of products I've found...

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I guess no one can...

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

spridra,
Ask Terry on the Daves Garden forum, she can set it up.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We don't create the threads, we just sticky 'em ;o)

If/when there is a thread that enough people find useful, helpful and want to have "stickied" at the top of the forum, them we'll be happy to make it happen.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I think everyone at Dave's Garden would like to see who has found the best gardening tools. I think there should be a forum topic - Garden Tools

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I just learned about NO Crank Hose Reels, one of the things I struggle with after working in the garden. My husband has to wind it back up for me. This is the least expensive one on Home Depot's website, they have others that are enclosed: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100589551&N=10000003+90401+500016&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

I have also used a tiny 50 foot hose that is supposed to be used for setting up a watering system with little misters, etc. It is great for watering pots without dragging the big hose.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Spidra, it depends so much on what specific problem you are trying to overcome.

I fall over (no balance) if I try to lean over, so my husband tries to help by weeding and so on. He has arthritis in his hands, AND the kind of skin that breaks out if he even mows the lawn. I'm planning to buy him those kind of rose-pruning gloves that go all the way up your arms and are sold by the Arthritis Foundation, maybe for Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Try looking at (online) places that sell adapted devices for activities of daily living, or ADL, then think outside the box. I got a funnel sort of a thing to fill in dirt around container plants.
Lots of things made by OXO (they have their own website, not oxo.com) have built-up easy-to-hold handles. And kids' tools are often just the right size, or "ladies'" tools, as long as they're sturdy enough..

If you have a specific problem with a disability I haven't glossed over here, let us know and we'll try to help!

xx, Carrie

This message was edited Jan 30, 2008 9:11 PM

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Carrie's right, more info will help. I tried the tools that strap on to my arm and couldn't work with them at all. I spent a morning at the local hardware store (not a big box store). I sat on a stool and tried different tools until I found what worked for me. (I have an article coming up soon that will talk about it) I can't use anything heavy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.