Lead me in the right direction.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I have some blue and some white iris that have thin leaf blades. The roots grow into a dense mat with almost black, stiff, tough, intermeshed wiry roots. The center of the clumps tends to die. Overcrowding? They respond well to being divided, sometimes almost too well. I've been looking at the various pictures here at DG and now am more confused than ever. I had always called them Siberian Iris but I remember my petals being thinner than those pictured. If you have any idea as to what I might have, I would appreciate a suggestion. Perhaps I might even have been right.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The easiest way for us to assist you in identifying the type(s) of irises you are growing is for you to take clear, focused, close-up photos from various angles when they bloom for you this year. Then post them here on the Iris Forum.

What you describe could be Siberian irises or some other type of beardless or perhaps even crested irises. How tall are the irises in bloom? Do the leaves have a central, raised rib running their length; or are they smooth?

Some Siberian irises that are closer to the sibirica or sanguinea species have thinner petals and more traditional form, while newer hybrids have wider, ruffled petals and fuller form. See if the photos at the following links (both Siberians) look similar to the plants you are growing:

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/siberian/caesarsbrother.jpg
http://www.hardybamboo.com/images/products/iris_snow_queen.jpg

Photos are what we need in order to be really helpful in answering your query.

Laurie

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I know photos are what I needed to send but my digital camera went black screen about two days ago. Cannon says that I can mail it back to them but meanwhile no picture taking here.

Thanks for the links. I'll study up and get back with you later. You lead me in the right direction, and that was all I was seeking at this point. Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.