mystery flower

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Can anyone identify this plant that popped up out of nowhere in one of my "Darwinian" (read: ignored) flower beds? It's growing in a small patch of pachysandra that accidentally came in with some Lenten Rose a friend gave me. But this mystery flower was never seen in the friend's yard. It blooms in the summer, and seems to be multiplying very slowly.

Thumbnail by pmgflowers
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Yea! I actually know what this is! It is a wild alstroemeria - related to the ones you buy in the stores. Someone gave me some and they are a nice addition to the garden.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Alstroemeria psittacina to be exact and they can multiply quickly if they like where they are. Some folks say they are invasive but mine have not become so yet.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I love it, but here in my zone, I have to spray, spray and spray.. It invades places not even close to where they began.

Larkie

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

You people rock. I got a very big kick out of getting these responses so fast yesterday. Having learned some tough lessons about potential invasives, I'll be careful with this pretty little flower.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They multiply by small bublets and also seed.. When their seed pods burst open they make a popping sound and shoot seeds as far out as 6 ft..No wonder they travel so fast..lol

Larkie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Really, I want some....LOL I think they are really cool...I have the Sweet Laura and it is just lovely! I don't have this one...never seen the wild ones before..very interesting!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Finally found the photo I was looking for the other day. Now I'll be watching for those far-flying seeds! (I hope the cat's on the patio when they pop, and I hope I'm around to see it.)

Thumbnail by pmgflowers
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Janet, you are coming to the roundup aren't you? I can bring some and I think Azalea also has these.

Brenda

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, Brenda that would be great!! Thanks so much.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone have any of the purple or peruvian coral ones? I have a great spot for them.
chris

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Not me....all of them are my wish list...LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

hmmm they are going on my wish list too.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I just ordered seeds, purple,pink,red,orange. I hope this works. LOL
chris

High Shoals, GA

From the Floridata website:

Features

This is a seductive plant. It is colorful, unusual, and exotic looking and effortless to grow once you get it going. Every gardener I know who has seen it has wanted it, begged a start, then nurtured it and delighted in it - for a few years. Then every one of them has come to curse the way it spreads and taken to ripping it out with a vengeance. Perhaps its best use is as breeding stock for developing more spectacular and less troublesome varieties of Alstroemeria.

WARNING
This is an extremely invasive species. Although it has not yet been widely recognized as an ecological problem, parrotlily has spread into natural areas in western Australia and is likely to do so elsewhere. It is definitely ill behaved in cultivation. It self-seeds vigorously unless the flowers are cut off after blooming. Neglect deadheading or move a few tubers around in the soil and it will spread throughout your garden and haunt you forever. You can pull up every visible shred or even move away and start over with a new landscape. For a time, you may actually believe you have triumphed. But then you'll see that little umbrella of leaves popping up next to a prized plant... Spraying with Roundup just before the plants go dormant will knock parrotlily back, but it will take most of your nearby plants with it - and one or two treatments won't kill all of it.

I'm not a native plants purist, but I REALLY think we need to think twice before bringing exotic plants into our yards.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info Steve. I try not to plant invasives as well. I do have some Alstremeria that is very well behaved though, possibly because it is in a small contained bed....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.