Irish moss

Kalamazoo, MI

This is a picture of my poor driveway. Every year we fight the weeds that grow in the cracks. Last year we tried planting creeping thyme but it all died. Is Irish moss easier to grow?

Thumbnail by Kristi_L
Algonac, MI

Kristi_L, are you trying to grow something in all those cracks in order to "beautify" your driveway?
I put ice salt in the cracks in our driveway to hopefully kill the weed growth. So far, it looks as though it is working.
I am planning to use concrete about "putty-thick" in between the cracks using a slight hump on each crack to compensate for the shrinkage as the concrete hardens dry.
Of course, I will have to V-cut and clean out the cracks B-4 I mix and pour. If you like, I'll keep you abreast of my project of the very near future.
BUTTT...by the picture, you would be better setting in a new driveway. This can be done in stages by removing a square/rectangle of broken concrete and filling the void with new material. The advantage is that IF you are doing it yourself, the back pain is less at one time. You just have to get a little more "pain" another day.

Kalamazoo, MI

Hmmm. Yes, LostIndian, I'm interested in your project. It's not for us at this time however. (We're not too good at DIY :)) We can't afford to have the driveway repaved right now so thought the moss would make it look nicer.

Redford, MI(Zone 6b)

Looks like you need a vist from Fill myCracken. LoL Just funning if your not go to replace the driveway you should fill the cracks in with Silicone chaulk to pervent the soil from being washed out

Art;^)

Algonac, MI

Hello again, Kristi. I just checked the cracks in our driveway and some of the weeds are starting to come up so I am going to pour more icesalt down the cracks again.
Where I poured salt on the grass/weeds down the unpaved driveway, the salt is working much better, but some grass/weeds are still trying to promote.
In these areas, my next stept is to use table salt. That will definitely do the job. I just want to use the excess icesalt on hand.
B-4 you put any material (caulk, etc.) into the cracks, you should vaccum out the cracks in order to get a better seal. Just remember to over-fill the cracks just a little because of shrinkage.
It seems that concrete will kill all but weeds. I really don't know!
As the Chinese would say, "Rotsaruck on your endeavor".

Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks LostIndian. I have leftover salt too, so I'll give it a try.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I think Irish Moss needs a lot of moisture and humidity.
Instead of salt, you might try boiling water. It's very gratifying to watch the weeds melt as you pour it on.....

Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks grannymarsh. I'll try that. The driveway does get very hot in summer--maybe too hot for Irish Moss. I should note that the car is very rarely driven on this area of the driveway. The garage is mostly used to store gardening stuff. :-) The most 'foot traffic' is from our 125-lb. St. Bernard.

Algonac, MI

I have tried boiling water before and it doesn't work very well. In fact the weeds came back stronger than before. It could be the water here in Algonac. I don't know.
Salt won't let anything grow back so use it carefully. Don't get any on things you don't want to disappear.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Yah, it could be the Algonac water....it's full of fish poop. We try to stay away from salt & melting chemicals as our beloved Springer tracks it in and licks her paws. The boiling water trick has to be repeated, your're correct, but it does work for a while.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Have you ever thought of trying one of those flame thrower devices? You burn the weeds with it. I've never tried one but that might work.

I've always just walked the drive and pulled out by hand early in the spring when they're small and the soil is damp and easy pulling. Once a week patrol for more and just stay ahead of them.

Algonac, MI

Loon...I certainly understand your method of weeding a driveway.
The problem with our driveway is that it is built so close to the ground my back hurts real quick. "Memories are made of this". That's why I used the salt.
I'm not too great with flame throwers. The house is too close to our drive.
The only animals which tracks in the salt are the abundant squrriels: but they make great gumbo and a little salt is needed in my recipe anyway.
Later!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Every try the extra strength Roundup vegetation killer? Just walk and squirt on a really hot day..........like over 80 or 85 degrees with no rain in sight. That will kill just about anything.

Algonac, MI

Loon, I used to use RoundUp until I read the effects the vapors could have on a person. Gotta be real careful about chemicals! Too often they affect more than their design.
It did work!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Vinegar works to kill weeds also.

Algonac, MI

Hemlady...vinagar does work, but it is slow. I am still getting renewed grass around the walkway blocks in our back yard. I even tried gasoline on one spot, but that is a sad way to infiltrate the ground soil so I stopped after less than a sq. ft.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

HI Kristi,
My neighbor uses cheap bleach and water, mix it half and half, it kills the weeds and nothing else will grow there. She swears by it.

Connie

Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks all.

Looks like Irish Moss has lost its chance. I'll probably opt for boiling water or vinegar. Can't take a chance using anything more toxic with our dog running around out there.

Kristi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.