Some Pictures of what I had to bring inside...FROST!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here we go...this I took before I cut this one...an old heirloom (?), I don't know the name...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

another after I got them into vases....another unknown mauve colored Iris, it is very short! Not sure if it was short because it isn't in direct sunlight, but it is blooming now! Bery pretty!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Boquet with cut TBI and Dutch Iris, along with Narcissus, and Columbine....

This message was edited Apr 6, 2007 8:11 PM

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Another, with some bleeding heart too...more dutch iris....

Thumbnail by JanetS
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Beautiful arrangements!!! You are so talented!!!

Judy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Judy! I love them inside, but I really would have liked to see the Iris opening outside this year, some of them are first blooms for me on new iris I bought last year...but that is okay, as long as I see them! LOL How is your weather?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

We're suppose to go down to 23F tonight. I had to bring in the 68 house plants we had moved to the porches and around 50 Brugmansia therefore the house is so full I can't walk. This is unreal and I will be so glad to be able to move it all back outside. The German Shepherd rescue with heartworms we just adopted, doesn't know what to think about all the clutter, but she has adjusted well.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I bet DG is about to crash, it's taking way to long to load the threads or upload postings made to them.

Judy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean, I had moved some brugs outside and at about midnight I jumped out of bed, remembering I had forgotten to bring them in...lol...ran down the basement stairs and grabbed them inside....I didn't have too many that actually made it through the winter, I wasn't a very good nurturer over the Winter, and some of them dried up after I potted them up..but I have a few that I hope will make a pretty dsplay anyway! Maybe four or five of them...

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Janet, I too have irises just about to open. I am trying to decide whether to cut them and see if they'll bloom in a vase. They are so close to opening. I don't know enough about irises to know how close they can be to opening when you cut them.

Poplarville, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm brand new to DG, but not to gardening, so greetings to all you fellow plant lovers! I, too ahve been moving plants in the house all afternoon. My husband Bruce, my beloved garden partner came home from work and we started covering plants w/ everything available from lite tarps to sheets to pillowcases! My yard looks like PeeWee's Playhouse right now w/ all the colored sheets, but who wants to lose all those blooms you have worked for weeks to get? I too adore roses and irises AND clematis. My husband jokes that in a year or so he won't need a lawnmower, just a weedeater to trim the grass! It is supposed to freeze here tonight, after a week of temps in the 80's. Well, soon enough it will be 99 inthe shade and we will be begging for cooler temps. Kat

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I was advised on the Iris forum that if they are showing color you should cut them and let them bloom in water inside....so that was my choice...they said anything under 28 degrees would kill the stalk and blooms.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Its a sad year for iris growers ,
I will have lost 90% of this years bloom .
Happy Resurrection Sunday to all
God bless
I picked this before freeze
CEE JAY ___IB

This message was edited Apr 8, 2007 10:19 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is beautiful....keeping my fingers crossed you didn't loose them all!!! Blessed Easter to you as well!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Tazzy, is that Jesse's Song? It didn't get nearly as cold as I thought it would. It hovered around 30 or 31. I took almost everything back in the gh, but I thought I would lose all my rose buds, and I left some iris buds out there. They're blooming now anyway. Roses too. I've never seen them look so good.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

No silver
it is a IB Iris named CEE JAY

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

The ones I brought inside still have not opened...so I don't know if I will get to see them this year or not;(

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hi pinkypetunia,
When you wrote the message above, I was in Lumberton, Miss. I don't live there but have a nice little farm there which I visit frequently. I was there from March 27 until April 10 and hated to leave. I got both warm and cool. I mowed and mulched at my place and planted herbs and a Louisiana Iris from Lowes in Hattiesburg.
I was born in Mississippi and go back once or twice a year. We didn't get a freeze in Lumberton, but it did reach the 40's. How cold did it get in Lumberton. When we left on the 10th, it was predicted to go back to the 80s. I fertilized and mulched azaleas and camellias. Hope to go back in the fall to do some more planting.
Let's stay in touch. I would love to see your garden and I will show you mine -- which is mostly pine trees, but is improving each year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.