Pink Mealy bug competition

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

While I was shooting the image of the Pink Hibiscus Mealy bug, this other hibiscus eater ran out of my yard into the neighbor's. There is no shortage of these green iguanas and love to hang out in the papaya trees and bamboo. I counted 4 different ones today alone. Thankfully my yellow lab keeps them out of the yard for the most part.

Thumbnail by caribblue

how do i delete posts that no one is interested in....i guess i live in the wrong zone

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't delete it! Your zone sounds pretty good right now, it's been unseasonably cold here for the last few days. It's a holiday weekend and the ID forum can be slow... the Iguana would be a hit in one of the Wildlife forums. Do you have more pictures?
It is possible to have a thread moved. And you can edit your posts to change or remove words, but I don't think you can edit pictures.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

What a huge Iguana, how big is he? Are they mean?

I agree with claypa...more people would see him in the Wildlife or Wildlife Gardening. If you contact Admin (at the bottom of the screen), they'll move it for you.

Thanks claypa and fly_girl for your replies. I think reposting this thread in a different forum is the key. I am so new to this site and still learning my navigation around in it. Thank you both for your suggestions.

The iguana pictured is one of the many in this neighborhood. The district of West Bay, in Grand Cayman has so many of these iguanas. They are not the native, Blue Iguana that is protected here, but a Honduran iguana. They get big, aggessive, and can outrun you and your dog. They eat hibiscus, and many other plants so that they are a problem. Not to mention their feces. My neighbor has drained his swimming pool twice on account of iguana poop! Needless to say, it cost him a lot of money to refill the pool and water is expensive on an island. I hear they taste like chicken but can't say I've tried it. They end up as road kill everyday. I count over 10 different ones everyday between my yard and the neighbor's. I have many photos of these if you are interested. Is there a limit on picture posting? Thanks folks for the advise and replies, I hope you have a Happy Easter Weekend..

john

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi John!! Love your pic! Please post more. We love to hear about animals from other parts of the world and love to see pics even more.

Thanks for the praise on the iggy pic....here is a shot of a protected Blue Iguana I took on one of the sister islands, Little Cayman. These brutes get extremely large and show little or no fear of humans. This one pictured took a banana right from my hand!

Thumbnail by caribblue

That's HUGE!!

I thought dinosaurs were extinct!!!

Good thing they are herbivores!

Your photograph of your indigenous Blue Iguana is absolutely wonderful. It's really exciting to see it. Thanks so much for posting the photo!

I read your comments about the damage the non-native Honduran iguanas are doing to the Cayman Islands. Our country is having major issues with introduced iguanas too. One that is of particular concern is the Spiny-Tailed Iguana (Ctenosaura similis). This Iguana is native to Central America and I think it can grow to at least 4' long if not more. Another that is rather destructive is the Green Iguana (Iguana iguana). It is native to the Caribbean islands, Mexico, Central America, and South America and it can grow to 6' long. Then there is the Mexican spiny-tailed iguana (Ctenosaura pectinata). Their native range is Mexico and Central America and they can grow to 4' long. Really glad you mentioned that your country is having problems with an introduced species of Iguana too because it heightens awareness.

I know we are struggling to protect our native species from feral introduced iguanas. What is your country doing to help out native species such as your Blue Iguana (Cyclura lewisi)? I read that it is a critically endangered species so your photograph is even more special.

Thank you so much for posting both photos but particularly the one of the Blue Iguana!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

When we were in Costa Rica on a vacation, we stopped at a rest stop along the road and I had to thread my way through many iguanas scattered along the paths. It was unnerving to say the least! They didn't bother us, but it did take some getting used to. Thanks for posting caribblue.

Hello everyone!

This is an article in today's Cayman Net News and what is being done to help protect the Blue Iguana. Have a read when you can, it may answer some questions and you can see what is being done. thanks for the interest showed in this forum..

http://www.caymannetnews.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000139/013974.htm

Aurabest,
john

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Hi again John .
These Umericans can be a clickey lot .
There are 300,000,000 of them and not one of them will reply . lol
Especially the ppl from Rockey Mountains .
I have had Threads sitting there for 2 months without a reply .
Never mind , You now have the nicest lot here talking to you .
Just watch that (said in a wisper) Pepper23 . She Bights .
And she has 3 BIG brothers that could beat you up .
So be really nice to her . Kell

Ha Ha ginger. LOL

Great recovery job for the Blues John! Thanks for the link, I love it when people do that for a species.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.