Soil blocks

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Hi--I was wondering if anyone here has ever started seedlings using soil blocks? This is my first year trying them and so far so good, it's just that there seems to be a whitish cast that's developing on the block. It doesn't seem to be mold--does anyone have any idea if this is normal? The seedling appear to be okay. I'd be appreciative of any input. Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you have hard water? It could be salts from hard water forming a crust on the soil. I've seen this happen in container plant soil so I don't see why it couldn't happen on seedling blocks too.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

ecrane3--I think you must be right--we DO have hard water. Thanks! :D

Thornton, IL

Try flushing with rain water collected in a bucket or birdbath. Otherwise you could stunt your seedlings. :0)

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Prairie Girl--I didn't know that. I will certainly try that, though I'm going to have a hard time finding rain water here--we're supposed to get flurries later! I do have some distilled water though--perhaps I could try that, and use that exclusively on my seedlings from now on.

Thanks again! :D

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You could always melt the snow too--should give you the same effect!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I read a description yesterday about making soil blocks using gelatin! Has anyone tried this? Seems the gelatin firms the starting mix so that it holds together well and also nourishes the seedlings. I've added on to my grocery list so that I can experiment...can't resist the challenge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.