Endless Summer 'Blushing Bride'

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Just saw an ad for this in this month's new Country Living mag....anyone growing this? Is it as beautiful as it looks? The first thought, of course, is....."I have to have this" and then I backstep and look to see if I really have a place to put it. I adore all of the hydrangeas but I'm afraid I'll have to redo entire sections to find a perfect spot for them. Right now I only have variegated lace caps and they're in whiskey barrels on the north side of our workshop. They're okay there, but against a white background they aren't thrilling....a lot of dark green behind them would be good. Same with 'Blushing Bride' maybe. Ad says it blushes to a soft,soft pink blush as the flowers age.
Sherry

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The pink picotee and pink eye is attractive close up, but is barely noticable from a distance. The blooms are about the same size as the parent. ES. The foliage is a darker green and more substantial than ES, more like an ordinary macrophylla. Expensive though, I hear. My advice if buying, check the roots before making a purchase; some Hydrangeas are often 4" potted plants that have been transferred to one gallon pots and then sent to the retailer with a terribly small root system.

Luis

PS - This one might need even more protection from the sun than regular ES because parent Veitchii likes a lot of shade and Veitchii's dark leaves will turn lighter (and burn) in sun. Besides, most whites burn easier than their darker pigmented counterparts.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the info...something to think about.
Sherry

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

this is a photo of my Blushing Bride.. it is really quite lovely. Near the front door 1/2 day shade..

now as for the perfect spot.. that is really not my kind of gardening. I am the worst about buying the plant that i love and then finding a place... BUT you can never go wrong with having hydrangeas in your yard.

Thumbnail by paulabyers
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Sherry,
I saw a BB at Plant World in Escondido last week. I was hoping to find out just how pink they turn but unfortunately the one at PW had wasn't blooming.

I have been looking for a white and I just love the Endless Summer I got last year. I ended up getting another white that day.

Paula, After seeing your pic, I wish now that I had gotten the BB!! It's lovely, and just what I was looking for. I might have to make room for one somewhere. How long did it take to get that size?

Joliet, IL

Hi :)

I've got four of them and they're not quite in full bloom yet. I paid less for my #3BB than my other #5ES plants. The plants are as described with a more substantial darker green foliage than the ES. So far this spring they are coming in good...but I did notice some wilt from the sun last year when I planted them. I am waiting to see if they do better where they're placed after they're a bit more established. We'll see>>>

So far...I've got two seperate groupings of 3 ES and 2 BB in each grouping. I'm thinking I should also add an oakleaf as well (will it ever end??) ;)

dan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.