What is your experience with native azaleas?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I want to try planting native azaleas in my woodland area. I previously planted two pinxter azaleas (Rhododendron canescens) but although still alive, neither have done well, I think they are in too dense shade and do not get enough moisture to be happy. I plan to move them this fall. I would appreciate other gardeners, who have had success, helping me to not make more mistakes. I am a bit more savvy now than when I first tried and with your help---S U C C E S S

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Have you discovered the nursery for native azaleas in upstate SC? www.ferngullynursery.com. I bought two natives there last fall, and both overwintered well. The owner, Allen Cantrell, is very knowledgeable and helpful; he could give you good advice on which are best for your planting area.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I've had some really swell success with Azaleas: calendulaceum, vaseyii, and viscosum. Since I don't really know what kind of direction you'd like your advice to go in, I think that the only other thing to say is that one shouldn't plant an azalea too deeply and a good application of mulch'd be swell too.

I'm no azalea expert but it seems that, in general, they tolerate shade but don't really thrive in that condition.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

We are currently removing a number of trees from part of our lot that had been left natural. I have grown hybrid azaleas "forever" with no difficulty. Having naturally acidic soil and knowing to plant them high and mulch has helped with my success. However, I think I overestimated how much shade was desirable when I put out my canescens, because although still alive, it has never thrived and has only had scarce blooms. It also had to survive on whatever rains came its way. I'm planning to have supplemental water available in this new woodlands area. Our two wells can't run an irrigation system, but we have figured out a way to get water everywhere it is needed, when it is needed. The struggling canescens is going to get a new home and more tender loving care.

Our goal is to create a woodlands with viburnum, native azaleas, hydrangea, pieris, and such. I know that the current thinking is not to improve the soil when one plants a shrub or tree unless you are completely putting in a new bed. I am taking down trees, not sure how many should come down to leave me with enough shade and yet let in enough sun. I'm going to watch the area throughout the summer and adjust. Figuring to err on removing too few to begin with, since it is easier and faster to chainsaw than to grow a tree.

The following species in varying heights dominate my woodlands area:
tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)
cedar (Juniperus virginiana)
sweet gum (Liquidambar formosana)
scrub pine (Pinus virginiana)
white oak (young, maybe 20' tops)(Quercus alba)
dogwoods (Cornus florida)
maple (only one young one about 20-30') Haven't IDed species, it is just there--thinking strongly about removing it since underplantings have such a tough time coexisting. And I have two sugar maples in other areas of the yard.

Watersedge, what are the growing conditions where you are having success with your calendulaceum, vaseyii, and viscosum?

The area in question is between my sun and neighbor.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2007 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by baagrant
Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Longer view of area

Thumbnail by baagrant

Very nice area you have to work with.

I love Pieris floribunda. Shame I'm too far north to grow that plant.

Northeast Harbor, ME

The calendulaceum has had the most shade of them all and I would say that it bloomed at 50 percent. It never really got direct sun but the color's so vivid that a dab'll do ya (caledulaceum has variable color, all of it in the marigold range of orange).

The vaseyi was planted in 1/2 day afternoon sun in an soil that was primarily hemlock duff. It could get quite dry. Swell fall color, a nice red.

Viscosum seems to grow in any number of soil conditions but does quite well in moist soil. I've never grown it anywhere else but full sun so I can't comment on it's shade tolerance.

All three of these bloom at different times so there's never a question of having the pink vaseyi w/the orange calendulaceum.

Sounds like you have a nice project in mind.

Best Wishes!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm in your zone. I planted a cumberland azalea right next to a magnolia and it just lit up the shade! just got another one to add to my garden because I liked it so well:

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Good information, thanks for sharing it. I have it on my want list.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I just did a search on Pieris floribunda, since I'm unfamiliar with it. The link says it can go to zone 4?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/p/pieflo/pieflo1.html

You are right as rain. It sure does say it should be hardy to zone 4. I really like this plant. I want to try it out but I'd like to buy it from a nursery that is growing it locally.

Now, all I need is a place to stick it-
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modop/00001099.html

My Northern Lights Azaleas are doing fine but they are in a somewhat protected site.

Cincinnati, OH

U CT lists 'Millstream' & 'Brouwer's Beauty'. The Zone 4 may not apply to other clones. Seedlings.may vary in hardiness.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Timber Press published a really good little book on American azaleas about two years ago. Very readable! Very inspiring. I'll post a link.

http://www.timberpress.com/books/isbn.cfm/9780881926453

I went through a native azalea phase about four or five years ago and ordered in a handful of straight species. Here in the hot and humid Midwest with neutral soil, my luck has been middling. It seems, too, that azaleas are favorites of rabbits. My best luck has come with the Northern Lights hybrids, particularly "White Lights" and "Orchid Lights." I believe, off hand, this series is bred from natives.

Scott

My best luck has been with the 'White Lights' of the Northern Lights series too.

Yup, they're hybrids of Rhododendron prinophyllum.

Northeast Harbor, ME

One caveat I have for azaleas and many container grown broadleafed evergreens like Pieris is this: many have been fed a very steady diet of fertilizers in the nurseries. When they get home and are put in the ground, they defoliage from the shock not only of being transplanted but also from not being fed so often.

I don't have a ready cure for this problem but it's good to be aware of.

Cincinnati, OH

Native Azalea generally means natives to Southeast North America plus R. prinophyllum. The first of the Northen Lights Series are hybrids of Mollis and R. prinophylllum.
Orchid Lights (diploid) and Western Lights (tetraploid) are hybrids of a Mollis Azalea and R canadense. The Mollis group are crosses of R. japonicum ssp. molle (Chinese native) with R. japonicum (native to Japan). R. canadense as its name implies is native to Canada and Northern US. R. canadense hybrids now total 4 or 5. They are probably sterile.
U of MN has used Exbury and unknown hybrids. Exbury/Knaphill are tetraploids. They began as crosses of R. luteum (tetraploid) with hybrids of Natives or Mollis.

Northeast Harbor, ME

Oh, that's right. I forgot about R. canadense and it's all over the place up here. A very pretty vivd purple flower but I bet it's a finicky plant. Seems to like a lot of moisture and sun.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Thank each of you for contributing to this thread. The information shared thus far is being very helpful. Looking forward to learning more as participants continue to post.

Here is a view of the area taken later in the year.

Thumbnail by baagrant
Cincinnati, OH

Quoting:
...but I bet it's a finicky plant.
True, R. vaseyi is easier. Biltia vaseyi was merged into Rhodara wirh Rhodara canadense. Both then were merged into Rhododendron.
http://www.rosebay.org/chapterweb/specvaseyi.htm

Northeast Harbor, ME

Cool article. Vaseyi has always been one of my favorites:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.