iris cristata question

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I planted dwarf crested iris (cristata) in my "woodland garden" last fall. They came up a few weeks ago and the foliage is great, between 3 and 6" tall at the moment. Just curious: does anyone know how long after they come up do they bloom? Do they bloom the first year? I've had quite a few iris of varying types in past that produced lovely foliage and no bloom...hence my curiousity (and impatience!)
Many thanks!
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

In case any one was wondering, I have recently been told that iris cristata often do not bloom until the 2nd year.
Deb

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Deb, I have a few different cristata cultivars, with Edgar Anderson being my last purchase, last fall. None I have planted in the fall have bloomed the next spring. All have bloomed the spring after. I sure love the little guys.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pollyk: Thanks. That's what I get for not fully researching plants before I plant! I would've planted these anyway, but I would've worried alot less. :)
Deb

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Also, I forced Iris cristata in the the winter, with plants I potted in the spring and plants I potted in the fall. Spring potted oned performed admirably, while fall potted ones died or hardly made a showing at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.