drdon, I think these were your babies...

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I got these at last year's So. CA round-up - I'm pretty sure from drdon.
Here's #1 - is it purple majesty?

Thumbnail by KaperC

#2 - I just love this plant. I put the tiny little seedling between some rocks - it bloomed in a few months and hasn't stopped since.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hello,

No 1 is definately not Purple Majesty.

This is what purple majesty looks like.
http://www.selectseeds.com/images/400/2150_f.jpg

If you get any seeds off this pink beauty send them this way please.

Your pics are gorgeous.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Wondering why you say "definitely not" Purple Majesty? It looks very like http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/58276/ to me. I'm not good at plant ID, so any tips you can give would help me.

The other one is very red, actually - it looks pink to you? I thought it might be coccinea?

Perhaps my photo colors do not come true enough. It was hard to get the PM picture, because the flowers 'nod' a little and the light washes things out. I have a beautiful rosa Banksiae 'lutea' and cannot for the life of me get that lovely butter yellow color in a photo.

Kathleen

Hebron, KY

Kathleen,

The first one looks like 'Purple Majesty' to me too. And, the second one looks like a beautiful red greggii to me.

Both great pics.

Marilyn

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Could be Purple Majesty.....I got a Purple Majesty from drdon last year also.

Thanks, Marilyn. What does a greggii look like? lol Is it just something you pick up after a while?

Sherry, drdon really had a bumper crop of salvias last year. He was so generous and so many of mine died in the heat - I just couldn't protect them enough to get started. I'll have to get some little umbrellas I can spike into the ground!

Annette, drdon might be sending you the seeds on that one if you're trading - let me know when we get it identified if you still need seeds.

Thanks, everyone.

Kathleen

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

The first pic has pink flowers and not purple flowers, maybe it is me but purple majesty has deep purple flowers, maybe I am wrong......

Hebron, KY

Kathleen,

Here is closeup photo of mine of Salvia greggii 'Rosea' I took October 3, 2006.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Here's a closeup Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing' I took Oct. 3, 2006.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Salvia greggii 'Maraschino' taken in Oct.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Two plants of Salvia greggii 'Flame' taken mid Sept. last year Salvia greggii "Cherry Chief' behind the one on the left).

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Salvia greggii 'Dark Dancer' in September (with Salvia miniata, the Belize Sage behind it).

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Two plants of Salvia greggii 'Cherry Chief' in September.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Closeup of Salvia greggii 'Flame' in Sept.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilyn, you have some lovely plants - good pictures, too. The only similarities I see between them are smallish foliage and flowers with a big lower lip. Is that what I'm looking for in a S. greggii?

Annette, as I said, the color in the first photo is a bit washed out, but it is definitely purple.

Hebron, KY

Kathleen,

Quoting:
What does a greggii look like?

These photos are to show you that what you have (red Salvia photo), looks like a greggii.

Marilyn

ggg - I got that part. Thanks for going to the trouble. I not only need leading to the trough, my head needs dunking!

Hebron, KY

Here's Salvia greggii 'Hot Lips' I took in September.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Salvia 'Raspberry Delight' (Hybrid Bush Sage - greggii) in mid September.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Salvia greggii 'Hot Pink' in September.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

I like that 'Hot PInk.'
Dare I take a chance? Is that a clevelandii or leucophylla sage growing with it? Looks similar to my natives here.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it might be lavender growing with it--if you look at the silvery leaves in the bottom corner they look exactly like lavender and I think those flowers are coming from there. Of course Marilyn will know for sure!

Hebron, KY

Yes, it's Lavender next to it.

Here's the bigger shot before I cropped it.

To the far right is Salvia leucantha in all purple, then the Salvia greggii 'Hot Pink', Lavender (can't remember the name for sure, I have to look at the tag), behind those two is Salvia greggii 'Dark Dancer', on the left side of the pic is Salvia greggii 'Flame' and behind that is Agastache 'Red Fortune'.

I'm very happy to say that I see new leaves on both the 'Hot Pink' and 'Dark Dancer'. ;-)

Marilyn

edited to add it's Lavender 'Silver Frost'.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2007 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Well, there you go, see? I need help... lol
I have three different lavenders growing and they don't look ANYthing like that.
I think it was the coccinea I looked up in Plant Files and I've never seen so many different looking plants under the same name!
Think I'll just keep growing what I like and keep a list. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.