Magnolia shoes..........how 'bout snow shoes?

Northeast Harbor, ME

Yup, all you people with those pretty pictures of flower encrusted cherries and concupiscent azaleas can just look at this and weep! Ain't it just gorgeous!?! And, better yet, we're going to get even more tomorrow! Who's got zone envy now...............?

Thumbnail by watersedge
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That's rat nass.

I'll take it every Christmas, thank you very much.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I've been wearing shorts, tees, and sandals for a few weeks already.

Ask me again in August and I really will have zone envy though.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I'm just looking at my order for Gossler Farms Nursery. Sure wish that Lonicera fragrantissima would get here soon.

I think you're right, escambia. In August, I expect to be in the 80's for a couple of days, maybe even a WEEK. And temps in the sixties at night. There's nothing better than a foggy shore at night in August.

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Oh dear, that's quite a bit of snow!! Sheesh ~ I was complaining to myself last night when I discovered very slight flurries as I picked up after the dogs. Glad you posted this ~ I have absolutely zero zone-envy and will stop my silly complaining.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

tehegemon,
I would guess that zone 6 is probably the perfect zone to live in; you can grow some of the stuff that needs cool temps as well as stuff that needs warmer temps. What I wouldn't give to live in zone 6a!
Mike
(p.s. zone envy is two 4-letter words. Is my zone envy showing? (:o))

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

How about zone 9 oceanic . . . nice mild winters which never get too cold, and summers that never get too hot . . ;-)

Resin

Northeast Harbor, ME

I rememeber zone 6. It's a lovely place. I think that the only thing I really wanted to grow there but couldn't (at least not easily) were Gunnera and Rosa roxburghii. Both of which are probably prospering for Resin.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Resin, or sun that never shines? Spent a very wet two weeks in London and Ireland once. Would go back in heart beat though. Wonderful trip.

Yesterday it was 81. Today it is 37. Tonight it will be 20. I can kiss the magnolia flowers (out) and cherry blossoms (just showing color) goodby. I just finished planting a 15 ft. Chamaecyparis nootkatensis glauca pendula in a howling 40 mph wind (Christmas present from DH). And as the Irish say, "It was spitting stone" while I backfilled the hole.

Quoting:
or sun that never shines?

Old Saudi Arabian proverb . . . "All sun and no rain makes a desert" ;-)

Quoting:
That's rat nass

Been wondering, how many rats does it take to produce that much nass?

:o)

Northeast Harbor, ME

Today's snow storm, over a foot and still coming, makes my lead photo look kinda skimmpy in the snow department.

Growing up, we'd go and cut pussy willows, bring them inside and set them in colored water. The catkins take on the dye. If I had a beet, I'd boil it to this end. Anyone got a spare beet?

(This, gentle readers, is the epitome of cabin fever.)

WS:

What, none in the root cellar?

How do you ever survive? Must be those dreams of Rosa pimpinellifolia...

Resin:

That much nass must take all rat.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ras, natt, huh?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Did this "ratt nass" stuff start out as southern slang for "right nice" ? Just tell me if I guessed it right. I prefer silence to an explanation.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

This southerner has never heard of "rat nass", but it doesn't sound too nice. LOL

The low here Saturday is 33°, a freeze could go either way.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Watersedge. Good grief. Do you get any sun and warm weather at all? How do manage to get anythign to grow and bloom with so much cold and snow? Shoot our Lonicera fragrantissima was in full bloom over a month ago. The 'fruit loop' tree is what we call it down here cuz it smells likes that kids cereal.

Think I'll take Resins zone anyday. I don't even mind lot s of rain. it nic e to go for walks in a warm summer rain.

I spent the whole past week moving things out of the hopp house and weeding and cleaning and now am scramblign to mov e everythign back in.

I really worried about my Gardenias, those are for Mother's Day and can't afford to lose them.

With the dip I am in it gonna be down in the mid 20's here Saturday and Sunday and not much warmer on Monday. Everythign in flower, but the peach people are the ones really worrying. Think the price of peaches gonna up this year.

Soon as it gets a tad bit warmer need to go out and start building more hoops over my shrubs and covering up with plastic. We are gonna have the coldest Easter on record in the past 20 years.

Sure don't want this freeze snap, but thankful for all the days of rain it brought before hand. We needed it deperately here.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

It was 14°F (-10°C) this morning, in Mpls. The temperature has not been above 32°F for 3 days. If we stay below 32°F one more day, we will tie the record set in 1936 for consecutive days below freezing, in April. This weather is the pits. (:o( I want to get outside and plant.

Quoting:
Think I'll take Resins zone anyday. I don't even mind lot s of rain. it nic e to go for walks in a warm summer rain.

What's "warm summer rain"?? Rain is never warm!

Oceanic climates can do funny things too . . . I've known January days with night minima of 13°, and July days with daytime maxima of 9°. And years when the April mean temperature (whole month) was slightly colder than the mean temperature for January of the same year. Oh, and there was the year when we had a centimetre of snow lying. On 2 June.

Resin

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

How cold does it actually have to get to damage new foliage? It's supposed to be borderline freezing here tomorrow and nearly all of my trees and shrubs have already leafed out.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I am wondering the same thing here. The freeze here is such a long one that frankly I expect great harm. It's been continually below freezing since Wednesday night. No relief in sight until a full week from Saturday. Unbelievable. Two unrelenting, back to back, deep cold fronts. The marginal stuff I have been wondering about I will no longer be wondering about I guess.

Quoting:
How cold does it actually have to get to damage new foliage?

It varies a lot from plant to plant, and also on how far progressed leafing out is. Very hard to predict!

Resin

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Most of the oaks and maples have been leafed out for about two weeks, but my hickories and crape myrtles are in the middle of leafing out.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

escambiaguy, I am going to keep a journal of what was damaged, what died and most of all what survived along with details of the weather conditions. When DG'rs get through this we ought to share info. It should be useful for future reference. Too bad we can't all get together someplace and drink a few beers or share some good red wine. Right now I am looking out my window at a kind of freeze dried landscape. I might not wait until it's over on the wine.

There is a bright side. Choosing new plant material is usually fun.

Quoting:
Too bad we can't all get together someplace and drink a few beers or share some good red wine...I might not wait until it's over on the wine.

We can, and I often do. At least in the cybersense.

Maybe you could request a new forum:

•Sipping Forum
•Tippling Discussion
•Intemperance Chat

Each could have a page for FCVs*

*Frequently Consumed Vintages

Just so long as the cold doesn't affect the wine-growing regions!!

(Vitis vinifera is very prone to late frost damage, particularly to flower buds, resulting in no crop . . .)

Resin

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

As long as we don't end up like this figurine LOL : http://shopping.discovery.com/Life-Lesson-number72-Figurine-Merlot-and-Email.shtml

Speaking of grape vines, I made sure to cover up my little Muscadine vines I bought from Ison's.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I just decanted. A nice 2003 Kendall Jackson Merlot. I'm having some wine with my whine.

Thanks for the cyber company. I'll be feeling better shortly.

Oh cripes, that figurines' me!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2007 9:04 PM

Nice link, Chad. I spotted my wife there (Cat Lady).

Pinkies out whilst sipping...

I'm finishing the last glass of 2000 Fess Parker Pinot Noir. A bit hot, but so flavorful.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Did it come with a coonskin cork?

I'll check with the sommelier-in-training.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

VV,
Your cat looks just like the cat we had when I was growing up (our cat wasn't a mouser, though [has the "thumb" to make it easier to hold onto mice.]) Beautiful cat.

Smilax says thanks (blush); that's his polydactylity showing.

Northeast Harbor, ME

What a great name for an unclawed cat!

Thornton, IL

What's the other one's name? The one in profile, trying to be incognito, LOL.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Sir Eric The Red

Normal compliment of toes, abnormal compliment of hutzpa

Thumbnail by snapple45

GAPO:

The incognito cat is Cercis! I didn't notice that I had posted with her in the shot (old dialup home computer with small screen strikes again).

tipple:

Sir Eric appears to have attitude, obviously a necessary trait to appear here. I notice he is sans sippage.

How did you "ghost" that image? GAPO, take notes...EVP...

Thornton, IL

This is the inscrutable O-ren Ishii. Glad to see we're among friends. :-)

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

VV The cat was preparing to unexpectedly drop in on the dog not shown below. I somehow rotated the lens and kept it focused on his nose as he actually started to move. Sir Eric has a habit of surprising the dogs. My wine stash is actually pretty low. It's been a looooong cold spell. Time to shop. On this I have the best of all worlds. I get it wholesale. Shhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anybody! We own a business with a liquor license.

We have two more nights with below freezing temps. forecast. Today was the first day since last Wednesday that temps have been above freezing, day or night. We went to one of our favorite garden centers today. It looked like a war zone. It was about 70% stocked when the bad weather hit. Gonna be some big sales. Or some some big dealer take backs. It was interesting to note what withstood the freakish weather. Some tender evergreen azaleas did well while some supposedly rock hardy junipers were quite browned. Go figure!
One of the local specialty nurserys held back stocking anything but Picea and Pinus. Smart move.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That a pretty neat speckle thing that cat's got goin on there. This is getting a little weird with all these red cats.

Thornton, IL

My cat is a Bengal, what is a "red" cat?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.