Japanese painted fern (Ursula Red)

Ogden, UT

Just purchased some Japanese painted ferns, I was doing some research on them and discovered this fern. Love it and think I have to have one lol!
Anyone know anything about them?

Thumbnail by flowerprincess
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes, I bought three from Thompson & Morgan. they were only small plants but I've had them for at least 2 years, they are getting some maturity but there is very little colour as yet.

I have recently put them in the ground, one has a new frond enough to show any colour, it has a slight reddish colour in the centre. They varied in colour, the best one was not that great, but they could still get more colour. I have my doubts!

This was teh best one

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

FP, that is a very nice one in your photo, great coloration. I'm assuming it's Athyrium nipponicum ' Pictum ' maybe burgandy? where did you find it? Jim

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hostajim, it's Ursula's Red, my pics are the same plant! The fronds are growing now, some of the new ones are completely dark reddish brown, almost burgundy coloured. One has a darker patch in the middle but the edges are green.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

What a stunning picture, flowerprincess. I've grown Japanese painted ferns for a while now so they are perfectly hardy here and I must say, I love them and wouldn't be without them. They are easy, no fuss and not bothered with pests or diseases. They lighten up the shady border and they make a nice edging and look nice along pathways too, as they only get about 15 - 18" high.

To the best of my knowledge, these are both Athyrium nipponicum 'Pictum', so Wallaby makes a good point about them being variable in colour.

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Going to the nursery and picking out the most colourful would probably be a good idea, although even then it would be hard to tell, because when they first emerge they are much more colourful. You can see the difference here between a new leaf and an older one.

Thumbnail by sanannie
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I agree about the variation within the different varieties of Athyrium's. I feel that I need to purchase the fern because I like the variegation and not the name. because I'm afraid I may not always be purchasing the best specimen of that particular variety or is it really just Athryrium nipponicum 'Pictum'

I once had the opportunity to purchase a flat of Athryrium nipponicum 'Pictum' The variation with in the flat was amazing, Make me wonder if some of those could have passed for a named variety.
They are planted all over property now. I will have to pay closer attention this year to their coloring. I have ghost and that has been stable.

As anyone noticed unstable coloring with their ferns from year to year?

Beachwood, OH

Shadyfolks,
Have you forgotten that Japanese Painted Ferns need a shot of sake early in the spring in order to brighten up? Sometimes they can get by on Miller Lite tho.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey there alyrics,
Is that their problem? Not enough Sake, I just don't see the miller lite, LOL!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

this year when I sow A N Pictum spores I'm going to mix them with other pictums and see what I get, Jim

Ogden, UT

Sanannie,

That pathway is beautiful!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Sandy,

What a "show" surrounding the pathway. That is just gorgeous. I do say that they sure like your house!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beachwood, OH

does anyone here know how famous Shadyfolks is? She was on the 11 o' clock news last night!!! Her garden was pictured but the human interest story was a bit different to say the least. Well I can't say more to avoid naming her in public but what a hoot Shady!!!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey alyrics,
Yes it's true, a hoot it has been! Two TV stations & two newspapers have been trying to track me down the last couple of days. It seems I am popular, because I am the only one who has taken any pictures of the creatures. the pics where taken back in December when snow was on the ground so they show up well. My concern is that I don't want these creatures reproducing...we have enough deer.
Anyhow, the media is having a lot of fun with the story and it's nice to have a light story, since earlier this week the news of VT was so disturbing.

Here is the article that appeared in a local paper (I am not the one they interviewed, the used my picture for the article) :
Goat-mouflon-tahr thing spotted / Mystery creature puzzling residents
Thursday, April 19, 2007
They might be a kind of curly horned sheep. Of course, they could be a funky breed of mountain goat, too. Or . . . well, this sounds sort of silly, but the idea has been tossed out there . . . maybe they're mutant deer. But whatever they are, they're roaming the woods in this Geauga County community.At least three of the mystery animals popped up a few months ago, bringing a smattering of quizzical calls to Chester Township police and leaving wildlife experts scratching their heads. One resident managed to snap a few photos of the creatures, but nobody has found an answer in the image. "We're not exactly sure what they are," said Allen Lea of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, which has reviewed the photos. "But they're definitely not a native species. They're not where they belong."

Of that, everyone seems in agreement. Police fielded two calls on the animals within the past week, both from Mulberry Road. One of the callers described the creatures as bighorn sheep and declared "this is not right for Chesterland."

Township resident ........ saw one of the wayward critters Sunday and Tuesday while driving down Mulberry. The avid outdoorsman and part-time hunter and fisher said he got within 30 feet of the animal before it bolted; He ID'd it as some sort of European wild goat. "The moment I saw it, I knew it was out of place," said ..... Police Sgt. Davis said the animals - which she described as "half deer, half ram," like the result of an odd mating arrangement - left her with the same feeling. She said she has searched the Internet but has yet to find what she saw while on patrol.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Big horned goats is what they look like to me. lol

Ogden, UT

What a hilarious story.... think looks like a female big horn sheep.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

There is much speculation around here. I have yet to see a picture of an animal that looks just like this one.

So enough said about the critters. If anyone else wants to make any more comments please email me. This is off topic to the original thread and with all respect to Flowerprincess I think it is time we get back to the topic of ferns!!

Shady

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They look like Mouflon (Ovis musimon, a southern European wild sheep), probably a ewe with a yearling lamb. Presumably escaped from a private zoo somewhere.

Resin

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I have two JPF 'Silver Falls' that haven't come up this spring. They were new last year but so were the JPG 'Pictum' that are in the same area and doing fine. Has anyone had problems with 'Silver Falls'?

That's pretty neat about the weird looking "deer" :~) I'd say Resin has the right idea.

Lana

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wvdasy,
Doesn't sound good for your 'Silver Falls' they should be up by now :( I'm Z5b and my JPF are up and mostly unfurled.
a)Are you sure they are planted were you think they are planted?
b)Maybe take a little stick and poke around, see if they aren't buried too deep?

If they are not there then I evaluate the site: How much sun (& when) or lack of, how much moisture (or lack of)? PH? Other problems...what kind of winter did we have?, or Neighbor's dog digging plants up?....review what that plants requirements are and try to figure out were I went wrong.

Hope they are planted in 'the other spot' that you thought would be a another great spot for them, and you find them thriving:)

Good luck, Shady

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

They are in a new woodland garden started last summer. The JPF 'Pictum' are in the same area and doing fine. They get a little dappled sun and very late evening sun slanting in as the sun goes down. It's rich soil where the drain for the koi pond is. We haven't drained any since last spring, well before the ferns were planted. I thought may 'Silver Falls' was a bit more tender than 'Pictum' since one came up and the other didn't, both in the same area. The Pictum even had it's first fronds froze back to the ground in the late freeze we had. It just put up new fronds. SF hasn't shown itself at all.

Lana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.