Seedless Meiwa kumquat ?

Marianna, FL

Does anyone have a seedless kumquat of the Meiwa type ? I heard there was 1 a few years ago, but have no other info.

Sugarcane52

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

That Tropical Plant place right in Marianna would know for sure. I just ordered a Meiwa plant from him, but I don't think it is seedless. I eat the little guys seed and all.

Marianna, FL

Sailb,
If you are referring to Florida Star Nursery, I doubt that he would know as he isn't all that in to fruit trees. I don't crunch Meiwa seeds, I spit them out--1 reason a seedless type would be nice.
I did eat some seedless loquats in Marianna not long ago. They were excellent --beyond all expectation ! Even better than the seeded type.

Sugarcane52

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Sugarcane52, Thats the place. I am new to Kumquats but I just tried one off a tree two days ago and the very first bite I was hooked. I am going to put this puppy in a large container . A 10 or 15 Gallon
one in 3/4 to full sun. Zone 9. Any pointers would be appreciated ?

Marianna, FL

Sailb,
I wish I had some pointers to share, but I plant only in the ground. You MIGHT want to try a Murumi kumquat, though. At full maturity the fruit tastes very sweet and rather acid at the same time-powerpacked. It may come fairly true from seed as my cousin has 1 thought to have come from it. The fruit are small but flavorful. The seedling has few, but large seeds.
Meiwa comes fairly true from seed but made a vigorous, leggy thorny tree for me.

Sugarcane52

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.