privacy trees for wet area

Woodstock, GA(Zone 7b)

does anyone have suggestions for a line of trees that are evergreen that thrive in or tolerate areas? I thought hemlock might work but i think they might need more shade. I am planning on putting a line of something evergreen, then river birch and then some maples as the land gets a ltttle less wet. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The best bet is Leyland Cypress if you don't mind BIG and very fast growing. I prefer arborvitae due to its slower growth and it comes in different shapes and colors.

Hemlock is iffy in Atlanta but is a nice tree if you can get it to grow. Deodar cedar would be a better choice. Cryptomeria (Japanese cedar) is nice and comes in different shapes, sizes, and textures.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I second the Crytomeria 'Yoshino'...I absolutely love this tree. I bought the first 1, 4 years ago and have been hooked on them, they are great. They grow a little slower than the leyland but they are much taller a little wider and I was told that they are not as suseptable to some kind of disease that leylands get. (even though I have never seen any of my neighbors have a problem with their leylands) The first one I bought from a nusery at 10' it was $200. The 5-6' ones are about 60 at home depot or pikes. Then I had home depot order 20, 1' tall trees..they were $13 and were about 18' tall. That was 2 years ago, they are about 4' tall now. Mine love water and sun.
chris ( I have pics of the smaller ones if you want)

This message was edited Apr 4, 2007 7:57 AM

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/690837/
Suzanne, have you seen this list? :)

Susan

Woodstock, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the responses! i knew i had read that list somewhere Susan, thanks for the link. now i just have to decide what to put there. of course i am glad i waited until this weeked to plant anything since i lost a bunch of baby maples. i hope they are not dead, the leaves are totally wilted.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

They will return!! :)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.