I need help identifiny these 2 weeds

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 2 invasive weeds in my flower beds this year, and I need help identifying them, and solutions to hasten their demise. This is the first one, will post the other.

Thumbnail by defoecat

This is the second one: Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by defoecat
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The first is chickweed aka Stellaria media (probably). There are a lot of different Stellarias. And the second one is a Lamium, L. amplexicaule, I guess. Maybe L. purpureum? Aka Dead Nettle or Henbit. Not the ugliest of weeds, some Lamiums are garden plants. Hope you had a good birthday!
Mike

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Claypot has nailed your pests.

Those are both termed annual winter weeds, since they germinate and grow during the colder seasons, set seed here in early spring and then pretty much fade away. Till the seeds germinate in the fall again.

Destroying them before they set more seed is the best plan. These all pull easily and it doesn't matter if they break off since they are not perennials. You want to stop them from producing more seed. You can till them in; you can spray them with any general broadleaf weed killer. It should just depend on your abilities or needs.

Don't be surprised, even with the best eradication efforts this spring, to have repeat performances. These pests have produced lots of seeds over the years, and there will be seeds laying in your soils waiting to germinate next fall/winter. Only if you use some kind of pre-emergent herbicide will you suppress seedling germination. Check with county extension service or farm supply store for appropriate chemical and timing, if you choose that route of action.

This time of year all the fallow fields that farmers worked up late last fall are purple with the Lamium in bloom. It's almost like it is an intentional cover crop.

Thanks for the id. I know it pulls easily, but I have about an 1/8 of an acre full of this.I don't want to try pulling it, would rather spray it with something.

Claypa the birthday was one of the best ones I have had. Thanks for the well wishes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.