Starting Dictamnus albus 'Purpureus' ("Gas Plant") - HELP

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I sowed my "gas plant" seeds on Jan. 29th after placing the seeds in the refrigerator for a week or two. Since then, the seed trays have been under grow lights, in a room with temp's in the high 50's. Because there has been no action with them, I put the trays in the refrigerator last night. I read somewhere that it is also a good idea to place them in the freezer for a couple of days, then remove. Please give me whatever tips you may have on successfully starting these tricky babies. Thanks!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74255/

This message was edited Apr 1, 2007 9:22 AM

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I've read they are stinkers to start. I've collected seed from my neighbor's plant but not tried them yet. Check out this link: http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm... Thanks. ... That site says to bring them down to 39 degrees, as opposed to freezing. Interesting.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've got the pink and the white sewn. Looks like I'll have to move them to the back of the shelf in the greenhouse, ignore them until next year and hope for the best.

P

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Bigred, I hesitate to ask this because it sounds kind of dumb, but given that you're looking at 'ignoring' them... what sort of watering regimen do you intend to use? I guess what I'm getting at is, do I need to ensure that the soil remains moist, or should I let them go somewhat dry for a period of time? I certainly do not want to rot the seeds...

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I think I need to beg my neighbor for a little start. Those seed starting instructions are just too intimidating. :)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well..."ignore" maybe a little extreme.They'll be were I water them when needed but I'll quit breathing down their necks everyday,chanting*sprout*sprout*sprout*...LOL

P

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, sounds like what I've been doing, too. Although... I do intend to leave them in the fridge for a while before throwing them back in my 'nursery.' Just because...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've already got mine in trays of jiffy pots,my seed frig is crammed to the rafters with buckets and boxes of seeds so I can't get them in there.Hub's says no more seeds or seed trays in his food frig...LOL

P

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, you're lucky to have the separate fridge... I keep hoping that we will upgrade our kitchen just so I can move the current fridge to the cellar. I have a couple market packs of these seeds in a gallon sized ziplock bag tucked in the bottom of my fridge. Not sure that he's noticed it yet. = )

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My hub's bought me this second hand one when he couldn't find food in kitchen frig any more....LOL. He said "no more seeds/trays"in his food frig but his food sometimes finds it's way into my seed frig. Now I ask you...Is that fair?*G*

P

Rockton, PA

I planted some seed out last fall and hope that it sprouts this spring. I tried a couple years ago but no luck. I don't know anyone with the plant.
If this doesn't work I may post a trade a trade.
I think the seed has to be really fresh and i bought this seed.
Good Luck!
Aline

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I bought mine from Germania. Keeping my fingers crossed.

P

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine were from Select Seeds and I started them soon after they arrived. I hope that's good enough.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Only time will tell. I have trays of native tree and shrubs sewn from last year still un-germinated and even a tray of dove tree seeds from 3 yrs ago,I'm stilling waiting on.

P

West Jordan, UT

I got these started from seed successfully a few years back. I used the moist paper towel in a baggie in the fridge method then potted up the sprouts. I can't remember if I soaked the seeds or nicked them first or not. I do recall getting about half of them to germinate.

Alas, I still have no gas plants. They just didn't continue to grow well. I will try them again at some point but I would recommend that you not try to plant them outside while they are still fairly small. Next time, I'll pot them up in larger containers then give them a year to get larger and stronger before planting them out. Perhaps that will work.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Bindersbee, that's very useful advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.