sunday morning loud mouth

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

here is our visitor who comes every sunday morning . He sits on a hollow tree and pecks . It sounds really cool because the tree is large and hollow . It sound even better AFTER 7 am
laura

Thumbnail by laurawege
Melbourne, FL

The Pileateds are such a sight to see.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Wonderful pic .. and luv the inspiration, Laura.

Quoting:
Laura is greeted by an interesting visitor
Each Sunday, like clockwork he comes
Resounding tunes, pecking the drills
On a hollow tree he faithfully drums

Sir Pileated, bides his time well each day
To appease his curious bird appetite
Hoping to expose many morsels of bugs
And perhaps attracting a Mrs., he might

Ordinarily, tis music to ones’ ears in the Spring
And a welcomed sight, most anytime
Though, would be kind, to postpone announcing his arrival
Say .. after 7, with the dandiest: well after 9!!

© Margarett Jones-Young (4-1-07)

- Magpye

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

thank you, very clever !
laura

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

And how about the cackle? They are such a vocal bird. You can hear them coming in a mile away!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

laura, does your pileated come at about the same time and only on Sundays? Just wondering what kind of pattern he keeps.

We have Pileated visitors here quite often. Last year you could set your clock by their visits. This year they are more sporadic and I can't figure out what the difference is. (Same suet, although several of our trees came down last year in a storm and maybe those were their favorites--we have plenty left for them though.)

Very nice poetry, Magpye!

The Pileated are fun to watch 'twitterpating' this spring.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

sorry I didn't respond sooner we had no power yesterday here in Ma we had a noreaster with lots of wind. the pileated has been here every sunday morning for about 4 weeks and now he is here a little more frequently ( I guess the bugs are waking up in the dead branch he likes so well) . He stays all day . I don't know how he knows that sunday morning is the only morning I don't have to wake to an alarm clock! do they establish a route?
laura

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the picture. We love our "woody woodpeckers" It is always a delight to see one. They love our suet, but can go through quite a bit in a short time. You must be having a ball watching them.
Went for a walk in the woods last night. We have a couple dead trees with many holes in them on the ridge. Last year we had a hairy woodpecker make a nest in one. This year we have been seeing a PW hanging around, but not in the last couple weeks. Last night we stopped to listen to the frogs that were singing over the ridge. Then we heard a low cackle and saw flight, I then turned back and looked at one of the dead trees. There was mama PW with her head sticking out of the tree. I was so excited. I hope this means they are nesting there. This will be exciting to watch. I have seen babies after they leave the nest, but never have found a nest before.

Oh, get your camera ready! I would LUV to see some baby Pileated pics!

I keep scouting for the tree that ours nest in but can't locate it. Would love to get lucky one of these days and find some babies!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, I did take the camera in the woods this morning, stood near the tree and said "hello" several times. She didn't come to the door (hole). But the neighbors were curious. This is what I saw on the neighboring tree.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

There were maybe 6 wood ducks all together, but these stayed for a photo op. We have seen wood ducks nesting in neighboring trees past years. They usually do not stick around for pictures. I will keep trying for the PW, it would be great to get baby pictures.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhhh, lucky you, cparts !! ...

- Magpye

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Wish the pictures would have been more clear, but full zoom, pointing up I was shaky and not ready for these guys. I thought it was cute enough to post anyway.
Haven't seen mama PW, may have to wait till babies hatch.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

The pictures were great, cparts - and I understand the shaky thing with the zoom. I've taken hundreds of hummingbird photos, but none of them are ever as clear as I want.

Beautiful ducks, btw, and the pw is gorgeous!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, fun to watch. I love all the pictures everyone posts. Nice to chat with people who are just as excited to see these birds as I am.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The loudmouth came in today at my house.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

Fun pics! I'm impressed with your photos! I know what you mean about the zoom and the awkwardness. I can't even get a decent pic of a daffodil, much less a moving bird high up in the tree--between my shaking and the bifocals and everything else!

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Trying to get a nice clean shot of some "Loudmouth" here but every time they are hidden behind other trees and branches and by the time I find a suitable photo shoot location they decide to change theirs :(.
Nature sometimes just doesn't want to cooperate :)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, flowers are alot easier.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.