Confused about watering needs.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I hope I haven't messed up with my Lousiana Iris. I put them in a pot and place them in my pond water. Is this ok? I was thinking that Lousiana and Japanese can at least survive in 6" of water.
Also have a question about siberian Iris. In plantfiles, under Iris sibirica it says under Other details:
"Requires consistently moist soil; do not let dry out between waterings". Yet under various cultivar listings is says: Average water needs.... So why the difference just because it's named?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Yes, that should be fine. You don't need to do this, actually. You can just have them in fairly wet (= boggy) area but I've seen fulva & other unknowns in water.

Here I'm talking from zone 2b so maybe others from LA can tell you more. If all fails, ask Greg at Iris City Gardens, he grows many many of them and knows all the LA iris answers.

Ginny

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Siberian irises should be kept consistently moist (not wet) for the rest of the growing season in which they are planted. Once established, they are actually quite drought-tolerant and will do fine in most normal soils. They will perform their best, however, when given ample water, especially in spring up through bloom time.

Laurie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Ginny and Laurie. My Siberians are in regular beds that I put there last fall. I probably didn't keep them moist enough. Luckily, they have green blades shooting up. I'm glad I don't have to move them then. For the Louisanna Iris, I'd really like to have them grow in the water. I think I'll visit Greg at Iris City Gardens, on the web if possible.

Deborah♥

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My siberians are just scattered thru my gardens with everything else. They seem to multiply better in the low areas that retain rain a bit longer, but bloom well in the upper dry beds too.

This clump is right against the house on a west side.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I did plant mine toward the bottom of the mound below my TB. I guess that's a good thing then for reading your post, Wanda. Picture is Perfect!

Louisville, KY

This seems to be a question I have as well. I have just raised an area of my perennial bed and in the process created a drainage problem for another part of the bed, I fixed that by putting in a drainage pipe which will flow into a very low spot in the bed. I am wondering if I can grow siberian and or Louisiana Iris in this spot which is about 3 inches below grade.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

timeinabottle, I think LAs would be a much better choice for the conditions you describe. Siberians need good drainage or they can rot. They prefer moist soil, not wet. LAs can handle more boggy conditions quite happily.

Laurie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Deborah,

Your LA's in the pond will be just fine....................and (may I add) very happy. I have my LA's planted in pots (out of the water, using a peat moss/soil mix for bog-like conditions) and also have some planted in pots in the pond. My LA's grow much better, taller, and produces more blooms in the pond. And they do even better once they grow outside the pots into the pond water.

Many people will buy the hard plastic baby pools and place them into the ground, fill them with water, and place their potted LA's into those pools............with great results!! You should soon be enjoying your LA blooms!

~Margie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Margie, what a relief to hear that my LA's will be fine. I have them in pots because the pond suffers extreme water evaporation every summer and will receed about 4 to 5 feet toward the middle. With the pots I can push them out a little farther into the water as needed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.