I'm out of browns

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I didn't steal my neighbors leaves last fall, LOL, so now I am out of browns for my compost pile.

What do ya'll use in place of leaves?

Sherry

Peoria, IL

shredded junk mail or straw

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

shredded newspaper.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Another shredded paper vote from me!

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

No colored pages, right?

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

"No colored pages, right?"

It depends. I contacted my local newspaper, and they said that they only use soy-based inks with non-toxic pigments, and many printers are doing the same to protect the environment and/or their rear ends (picture babies chewing brightly colored newspapers...). However, they also made it clear that they do not print the flyers for national ads such as Sears, Target, etc., and could not guarantee their content.

If you use shredded junk mail, I don't recommend using the envelopes with plastic windows. I thought it wouldn't be a significant amount until I saw the finished compost. I was very, very wrong...

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

How will I know when/if the worms have moved in?

This is my first compost pile so ya'll tell me if I did it right, ok?

I spread a 3-4" layer of 1" wide, shredded white paper (from the office) directly on the soil. I watered it down till it was pretty moist. Next, layered the old leaves and grass, watering each layer. I sprinkled each layer with COFFEE Grinds I've been collecting in every lunch room at work. I mixed in the leaves, grass clippings and grinds with the rake and smoothed it out. Moistened it with the hose. Next, I made a trench down the middle of the pile and chucked in the veggie peels & table scraps. Covered the trench over again and finished with a sprinkle for good measure. This was done last Sunday.

Yesterday, I sprinkled a cup of bloodmeal on the top layer and mixed it into a depth of about 3-4". I pulled back another trench out of curiosity and found the veggie peels from last week. They looked kinda "broken down" with a slight "rotteny" odor. I added some more table scraps and coffee grinds, and covered the trench again.

I've been throwing into the pile every worm I run across in other areas of the yard...

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

The colored newspaper is probably OK, but you can't be sure what kind of ink they use, so I don't use the all-color ad inserts, even if they're on newsprint. If there's a color item on a b&w section, I don't worry about it.

But you definitely DON'T want to use the slick inserts---the magazine-type stuff. The paper doesn't break down properly, and I've heard from some people that both the paper and the ink can be toxic to the worms. That stuff I just recycle.

I shred most of my non-glossy junk-mail, and that goes into the compost and breaks down with no problems.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

You should be able to tell by the smell if you have soy inks or not. Non-soy sort of stinks in a petroleum/chemical kind of way. Like an old sharpie magic marker. I get a low grade headache from it if I smell too much of it for too long.

The shiny paper is out, though, no matter what kind of ink. It must have wax on it or some sort of water repellant finish, because it doesn't break down right. Of course withenough greens everyting breaks down, but you can just tell it isn't right. It constipates the worms. Of course, I am just kidding on that last comment.

Suzy

Would somebody mind answering my 8 day old question above? Thanks. Still don't know when the worms have moved in. And still haven't found a place in Houston to buy the "Red" worms...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Gymgirl: Have you aerated and turned your compost? i.e. flipped the entire pile from point A to point B? That it the best way to aerate and you should see worms in the process, if indeed you do have worms in there. Nobody but you can know if there are worms- you just have to look and see them. How hot is your pile? Worms will take a hike if it's too hot for them.

Are you talking about buying worms to throw into a compost bin, or for vermicomposting?

Karen

Karen,
I think I'm confusing the two. Seems the vermicomposting doesn't need heat after all!. I've been trying to get heat! NO MORE HEAT!!!! Just more worms!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

So... you have a worm bin, not a compost bin? Is that right?

Karen

I have a bin. I have leaves, grass clippings, and table scraps in it. I water it periodically, and have turned it once. I'm looking for worms to break down the contents. What am I? A composter or a vermicomposter?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I can't tell.

Is it inside or outside?
What are the dimensions?

I compost but I know almost nothing about vermicomposting. But I think that worm bins tend to be smaller, need to be kept within certain limited temperatures, (therefore sometimes kept in the house), and I thought only contained paper for bedding and some kitchen scraps, and red wigglers, not yard waste.

That is why I was trying to figure out your goals. Compost? or worm castings?

Karen

My goal is compost. The rich, black gold that looks like flaked coffee grinds. From the leaf and grass decomp...Guess I'm mixing apples and oranges here, with my leaves and worms....duh....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Gymgirl: I think you would benefit from doing some research on composting in general.

I have been making compost for years, but I'm not an expert. I have never bought worms, and I don't think it is something generally done by those who compost. People who actually pay money for worms use them for vermicomposting, which is a different process altogether. Even the bins are different. Regular compost bins are larger, bottomless, and worms will move in if conditions are favorable. Many (most?) people don't even use bins for compost but just build a pile on the ground. And I never throw in worms that I find in my yard since conditions in there might not be good for them. About a week ago my compost was cooking at 144 degrees, I don't think that would be too comfy for them. And sometimes my bin might be too dry. The worms will do their own thing, they can move in or out or up and down as they wish. I'm guessing that in Texas the summer temperatures in compost, or maybe even a worm bin, might be way too hot for a worm's liking, but I don't really know.

So I suggest you do some research on compost and decide on your goals and methods and proceed from there, and also research the difference in the bins. If you just google "compost" and "compost bins" and "vermicomposting bins" you will find a lot of information.

You never did say-
How big is your bin?
What type? Bottomless? How big?

Karen

Karen,
I spread a 3-4" layer of 1" wide, shredded white paper (from the office) directly on the soil, so my bin is bottomless. I watered it down till it was pretty moist. Next, layered the old leaves and grass, watering each layer. I sprinkled each layer with COFFEE Grinds I've been collecting in every lunch room at work. I mixed in the leaves, grass clippings and grinds with the rake and smoothed it out. Moistened it with the hose. Next, I made a trench down the middle of the pile and chucked in the veggie peels & table scraps. Covered the trench over again and finished with a sprinkle for good measure. This was done last Sunday.

Yesterday, I sprinkled a cup of bloodmeal on the top layer and mixed it into a depth of about 3-4". I pulled back another trench out of curiosity and found the veggie peels from last week. They looked kinda "broken down" with a slight "rotteny" odor. I added some more table scraps and coffee grinds, and covered the trench again.

I've been throwing every worm I run across in other areas of the yard into the pile ...My bin is approximately 4ft long by 3 ft. wide. Here's a pic.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Then that would be a compost bin. Don't worry about worms. I definitely wouldn't buy them, but I wouldn't throw in odd worms, either. Leave the worms out of the mix, they will come if the compost is attractive to them.

Do yourself, and the worms, a favor and just do some research on composting. Over time (maybe a few weeks, maybe years), you will find your way. Search the net, buy some books or get them at a library. Information might also be available in your community. Compost doesn't usually happen fast, it is a slow process. Experts can produce compost faster than the casual home composter, but rushing it too much is not necessarily a good idea. It can result not only in poor quality compost but also poor practices can make you or your family ill. Composting is not for the impatient.

Good luck to you. Slow down and smell that coffee and have fun. You will be tickled pink when you harvest that first batch of compost.

Karen

Belgium, WI(Zone 5a)

Question ... for those shredding newspaper, does it need to be shredded into thin strips (such as with an actual paper shredder) or can you just rip it into strips like you would for paper maché?

I'm new to composting ... just had my husband build me a bin out of pallets and I guess I started at the wrong time of the year because I have no browns so I need to get something in there.

Also, I had to remove some sod for a small new garden bed. I put in in the pile upside down because i thought I had read that was ok. Is it ok?

Yes, paper maché strips are fine, and yes, upside down sod is good....you'll cover it up eventually, right? Otherwise grass will grow out the sides of thesod pieces.

I think people tell you to layer compost because it's easier, -- ya put on a layer of leaves and a week later when you mow, you get some grass clippings and put them right over, but if you have the newspaper and greens at the same time and can mix them together before putting on the pile, I think it's even better than layering.

Suzy

North Tazewell, VA

Are dead weed clippings considered browns? I have an area which I run my mower through to kind of bush hog, with old blades. If I let the cut weeds dry out, will this be considered browns?

free

PS Thanks for all of the answers and advice. I have my first garden in and it really seems to be doing great. Thanks.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

As of last night, I'm out of browns, too. I've used up all the leaves I saved in fall. With my Biostack bin I'm making compost like crazy. Last night I got a second one so I can have and active one and another for maturing or curing.

But I need browns. My compost routinely gets to 150 degrees, and stays at least 140 for a week or more. I add stuff about 3 times, a week or two apart and let ut cook. After about 3 times it's pretty well broken down except for paper or cardboard which seem to take forever, so I want something else. Does straw compost reasonably well and fast, comparable to dry mulched leaves, or does it take longer, like paper or cardboard? (My shredder doesn't take either of those and I don't have much patience for tearing into tiny pieces, therein lies the problem I guess).

So for those of you who use straw, does it break down fast when hot composting?

Thanks for any help.

Karen

Yes, straw breaks down very fast.

Sounds like you are really cooking, Karen! WTG!

Suzy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's the Biostack. I had a bin for years, black plastic with doors at the bottom. It was impossible to turn. I just mixed a little from above, and stuff took months to even start to decompose. With the Biostack I can lift off the tiers and flip the whole pile about once every week or 2 and the aeration makes all the difference. Of course, I got a compost thermometer for Christmas and that's a help, too.

Thanks for the answer on the straw. I hope I can find some. Garden centers usually carry it in the spring.

Karen

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Karen, You should be able to get straw from a feed store. You know, the places that sell horse tack, worm medicine and that sort of suff.

Since we're talking about browns......does anyone know if llama pellets are considered a brown or a green?

I get lots of shredded paper from work, is the laser jet ink ok in the compost bin?

Thanks folks.
Mary

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Mary. It's just that I'm in suburbia with no convienient feed store nearby. It's a pretty good drive to get to one. If I can't find it at a garden center, I guess I will have to go there. Thanks.

Karen

MaryMcP,
I use my shredding from work too, and so far, the worms haven't moved out...

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Lama pellets would be considered a green as they are high in nitrogen.
George

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks George.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.